Chapter 25: Resemblance

Start from the beginning

"I am not leaving until you tell me what happened," I stress, still rooted to my spot.

"Can't this wait until tomorrow?" Adam asks almost defeated.

"No it can't."

"What do you want to know?" he enquires, obviously wanting me to leave him alone.

"Why did they take you in in the first place?" I ask, shaking the memory of him being handcuffed and treated so roughly.

"That I can't say Aam, you have to believe me on that, it's better if you didn't know," he answers genuinely while messing with his hair. His eyes look become caught up in some deep thought but I ignore it.

"But why can't you, do you not trust me?" I ask in a whisper, slightly hurt that he couldn't tell me about it.

"It not about trust Aam, I don't feel comfortable talking about it" he huffs, looking away from where I am standing. He looks kind of embarrassed, like those words took a lot out of him.

"But you're comfortable doing what you are doing to get you to where you had back at school?" I say accusingly.

"It's not like that!" he barks defensively and I jump at the increase in volume in his voice.

"How about your friends, they were all taken too right?" I ask, deciding to ignore the other question for the future.

"Yeah, they're still in custody at the moment," he replies a little more coolly than before and I just nod, playing with my fingers.

"I heard the rumours Adam and I don't want to believe them." I whisper suddenly before realizing what has come out of my mouth.

"So don't." he states, shaking his head like it's the most simplest thing to do.

"Which is why I wanted to personally ask you, you know?" I continue, still focused on my finger nails.

"Aamirah..." he warns.

"I know, I know, I am not trustworthy enough but I bet Naomi would be huh?" I rush and my heart beats faster when I hear my self say her name. My hand automatically goes up to cover my mouth.

What did I just do?

"Naomi?" he asks confusingly, looking at me to study my expression.

"What about Naomi?" Adam questions me and I feel like the room is getting smaller on me.

"Nothing," I rush, feeling my face heating up.

"It sure doesn't seem like nothing, care to explain because I am out of the loop here."

"Oh, don't act shy about it now Adam, you and I both know what I am referring too!" I say through a heightened sense of rage.

"Honestly, no, I don't." he answers in the most casual manner possible.

"Aren't you guys a thing?" I spit like the words are an unusual curse on their own. He looks back at me and after some time his eyes light up and he just starts laughing while I stand their confused.

"Is that jealously I sense?" he states looking around the room with a smirk as if he is satisfied with him self.

"In your dreams," I snort, trying to set aside the inner ache blooming my heart.

"But if it makes you feel any better, no, she just won't stop throwing her self at me and you know me, I like to be nice," he smirks evilly and I can't help but want to throw up.