Chapter 40: Final Act: The Battle Within

He had returned to the Basilicom and quickly fell asleep on the couch, wanting to forget about the ordeal entirely.

He had lost track of time and had forgotten how long he was asleep for.

As Alex opened his eyes, what greeted him wasn't the roof of Planeptune's Basilicom.

Instead, it was the night sky filled with tons of stars and a faintly bright moon behind a single cloud, just barely illuminating the sky

When Alex sat and then stood up, he realized that the ground behind him was just water that he was somehow standing on.

In fact as he looked around, all he saw was just endless stretches of water that never ended, land not being in sight.

Alex took a few steps to make sure that his mind wasn't playing with him and sure enough with every step he took, he remaind above the water as a faint splash sound and ripple effect would happen when he walked.

"Where, am I? What is this place?" Asked the boy to himself.

Suddenly, he heard a voice call out to him in the distance.

"Hey! Hey over here!"

"Hm? H-Hang on I'm coming!" Replied Alex back as he began running towards where he had heard the voice from.

Eventually, Alex saw the silhouette of a person faintly illuminated by the night sky in distance as they grew closer and closer.

Once Alex stopped running and came to a stand still, he took a closer look at the person and who it was shocked him.

The person standing in front of him was Alex himself, or rather, a clone of Alex.

From head to toe, the figure looked exactly like him, except that his colors were completely opposite.

Instead of the dark black hair, its hair was bright white and the skin was gray, or almost white, with his eyes being blood red.

The young boy stared at his clone in shock for a few moment, trying to understand just what in the world was he looking at.

"W-What the hell?" Was all Alex could say as the clone simply chuckled.

"Come on. Why are you so shocked Alex?" Said the clone.

"H-How the hell did you know my name?"

"How? Isn't it obvious? I'm you, Alex. We're both Alex."

"That doesn't make any sense. Stop playing games." Said Alex, beginning to get irritated.

"Alright alright. To be more accurate, I'm the manifestation of something that you refuse to acknowledge anymore. A past that you fear and run away from. As for where we are, this is your subconscious. Physically, you're still asleep at the Basilicom. Mentally, you're here with me." Explained the clone.