Chapter 23: Lastation - Avoidance

[A Few Days Later]

As the days went by in Lastation, things didn't go quite as the CPU expected.

Noire would usually try to make Alex follow the schedules she prepared, which were mostly a mixture of training sessions and classes about Lastation's history and technology, but this dull and tiring process only went on for two or three days as on the fourth day, Alex began slipping away and avoiding her as much as he could by heading into city.

This frustrated the CPU, whose plans and preparations crumbled like a card castle hit by a gust of wind.

Uni was worried about the way things were going but she wasn't really sure on how to fix things.

She thought of ways to potentially resolve the issue while walking through the hallway until finally reaching Noire's office and entering to see the CPU speaking with Kei.

"I can't believe this!" Said Noire with indignation.

"What's wrong, big sister?" Asked Uni.

"Ah, Uni. Good timing…" Said the Oracle while turning her head and looking at her "Have you seen our guest around the basilicom?"

"Alex? No, I haven't." She said.

"Seriously! Just where did he run off to now!?" Yelled the CPU while slamming her hands against the desk and getting up quite abruptly.

"Calm down Noire. Getting angry won't help anyone." Said Kei while sweat dropping.

"I know but, I just can't understand it." Said Noire while sitting down again on her chair and massaging her temples. "Why does he keep running off like that?"

"Maybe he doesn't like your way of doing things." Said Uni.

"What do you mean?" Asked the CPU while looking at her younger sister.

"We-Well, this was supposed to be a break for him right? You've kinda, not given him any down time from all the lessons. He probably dislikes the way you've been handling his stay."

"I-I mean, yeah you're right. Then, what do you suggest I do?" Asked Noire.

"For starters, maybe we should scrap the initial plan and take a different approach." Said Kei.

"So start from square one then…" Said Noire while putting her hand on her chin and closing her eyes for a moment before opening them again and looking at her younger sister. "Uni, what do you think we should do?"

"Eh? Me?"

"You're the one that said he doesn't like my way of doing things. That means you must have a slight idea of what he might like."

Although Uni knew Noire was just asking for a suggestion, her way of saying it made it feel like she was trying to pull a solution out of the CPU Candidate.

Unfortunately, she hardly had any time to think about what could that solution be.

But the idea of scrapping the original plan was her doing now, and therefore she needed to put something on the table to make it work.

"Well…how about doing nothing?" She quickly said.

"Eh?" Replied Noire with widened eyes.

"I-I mean that we shouldn't try to force him into learning things that he probably already knows! Maybe we should let him handle things on his own and move at his own pace. Afterwards he'll probably start warming up to you." Said Uni.

"Hm…giving him free reign…" Thought the Oracle before turning her head to look at Noire and nod in agreement. "I agree with Uni. Even if it's a risky move, it could prove to be the most efficient."