Chapter 7: Leanbox - A Viral Situation

The Oracle took Alex to an open field as she had asked him to slay a few monsters that were causing trouble which Alex quickly accepted and got to work.

Though some were quite tough, he made quick work of them.

After cutting down the last monster, the young boy looked at his surroundings to make sure he had cleared the area.

"There. That should be the last one." He said as he turned to face the Oracle.

"Sorry for the trouble." Said Chika while smiling with relief.

"Don't sweat it. I'm here to help after all." He said with a smile, though he immediately began to think about something he found odd about the monsters he had just slayed.

"Hey Ms. Chika. Did you, happen to notice anything odd with the monsters just now?" He asked.

"Yeah I did. Those weren't normal monsters. They went viral." She replied.

"Viral?" Asked Alex with a confused look.

"As of late, monsters that get hurt up to a certain extent tend to go into a state where they go berserk. We call that the "Viral" state."

While Chika explained it, Alex recalled some prior mercenary work where he fought monsters, and how on rare occasions they'd suddenly get more agressive. Alex had always shrugged it off as the beasts just getting rageful, but now it seemed like a common occurrence.

"It's not rare for them to go viral when cornered, but the monsters around Leanbox have been going viral more and more often every day. Now some of them suddenly transform without even needing to get provoked or hurt." Said Chika.

"Huh. That's certainly an issue." He said.

"It is quite bad, and it's precisely why we must find the cause and eliminate it as soon as possible." Said the Oracle.

Suddenly, a third voice entered the conversation.

"I think I might be able to help you with that"

Both Alex and Chika turned their heads after hearing a female voice and saw someone approaching them.

It was a girl with short red hair tied into two pigtails and emerald eyes.

She wore a somewhat revealing dress that seemed like a mixture between a maid, nurse and a magical girl uniform.

She even had matching boots and a hat resembling that of a nurse.

"Cave!" Said Chika with delight, revealing the girl's name.

"Good day Chika." Said Cave as she turned her head and looked at Alex.

"I should assume this man accompanying you is the mercenary that Lady Vert brought?" She asked.

"That's correct." Said Chika before turning around to look at him. "Alex, this is Cave. She's a member of Leanbox's SMD."

"SMD?"