17 | a quick fix

╔──────────────────────╗

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN :
A QUICK FIX

╚──────────────────────╝

NEXT DAY

Hakeem wasn't sure what time it was. All he knew was that the birds were chirping inside, disturbing his sleep. His eyelids gradually fluttered open as he took in his surroundings. He knew right away that he was in his bedroom. He jumped when he noticed someone sitting on the side of his bed, but he soon became calm when he realized it was his girl.

"Hey there, sleepyhead."

Due to his excruciating headache, Hakeem closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead as his head rested on the pillow. "What time is it?"

"Noon."

His eyes shot open, and focused on her. "Damn. I slept for that long?"

"You were drunk as hell, so yeah." Star didn't seem thrilled either. That explains his headache, though. He promptly took some pain medication before asking Star how he got home because he couldn't remember anything from the night before, which was bad.

"I told Noah to take you home."

"Noah?" Hakeem needed a moment to comprehend that. That was too difficult to fathom. "As in my enemy?"

"He wasn't your enemy last night, so you should thank him."

Wow. He got home safely thanks to Noah, of all people? Maybe he isn't all that horrible. "I will. Thank you as well. And I'm sorry for what happened last night. I don't normally get drunk, but—"

"You wanted to escape your problems," she continued for him. "I know. You said Jamal came up with the idea, so I may or may not have slapped him."

What? She hit him in front of everyone? She's lucky Jamal isn't like Noah. He never hits women. "That wasn't necessary. This isn't his fault, bae."

"How isn't it? He had you acting like a fool!"

Hakeem stood up for his brother. "Jamal didn't pour the alcohol down my throat. You can't blame him when I did it myself."

"Well, I'm still furious that he told you to drink. That's not cool."

Hakeem shrugged, understanding why Jamal did it. Jamal wasn't trying to corrupt him. He was speaking from personal experience. "It's just what he's used to. But you said I was acting like a fool, so what did I do?" Hakeem was terrified to find out. He knows how he gets.

"You were starting fights," said another girl from the doorway. Tiana. Hakeem's eyes brightened at the sight of her, and he waved. She returned the wave, but Star didn't. She was enraged.