40 | family meeting

╔──────────────────────╗

CHAPTER FORTY :
FAMILY MEETING

╚──────────────────────╝

JAMAL

NEXT DAY

There was a mixed feeling in the air at Empire. Most of the employees were going about their day because they didn't know Cassie, but for those of them who did, they weren't as carefree. Their minds were actually messed up because they still didn't know who did it.

What was their motive anyway?

Jamal saw Cotton somewhere around there, so he was looking for her. He knew she didn't want him near her, but he felt like he should check on her. That was the decent thing to do. And if someone in his family died, he felt like Cotton would have the decency to check on him too.

He located her. "Hey Cotton."

Just as he expected, she was not happy to see him. "I thought I told you to stay away from me?"

"Look, I'm not here to argue. I'm just really sorry about Cassie."

"Well I don't want your sorry because she wouldn't be dead if it wasn't for your father!"

That accusation confused Jamal. "The cops didn't say Lucious killed her."

"But he did because that's all he does! He left us a note and everything!"

A note? "Saying what?"

"Just Another Casualty. And he said that because he was at war with Ma and Cassie was the casualty!"

So Lucious was really out here killing family friends? This was becoming too much. They needed to send his ass back to jail.

Jamal was so speechless now. "Wow. I don't even know what to say."

"Don't say anything because nothing you say is going to bring my Aunt back!" Cotton snapped before lashing out on him like crazy. "You know, we should've never gotten involved with you Lyons! We should've stayed far away from this company because all you guys do is hurt us Browns!"

"Is this still about Cassie or is this personal?" Jamal said.

"Maybe it is personal, Jamal. I mean, you are a cheater are you not?"

"I'm not a cheater."

"Oh? So you didn't-"

Jamal didn't even let her finish. "I know what I did, okay?! And I'm sorry! How many times do I have to say it?! And I wish I could go back in time-"

Now she cut him off. "No, you can stay in the present because you have Raven now anyway right?"

"And that makes you mad?"