Chapter 123: PTSD

" ": You talking

' ': You thinking

* *: Narrator/Voice-off

Your POV:

Zereschrute: Now then, let's go back to our original topic. You wish to have one of my nails, yes ? Unlike greater devils like Vanir-sama whose real body still remains in hell, for a devil who has brought his true body into this world like me, even removing a small portion of my nails causes me great pain.

Darkness: Regarding that, we don't have a lot of money on hand currently.. But I swear, on the name of the Dustiness Family, that I will repay you. It might take some time, but I'll definitely offer a fitting recompense. So, please...

"Just leave that to me. If it's money we're talking about, I've got enough to buy out an entire city. Just spell your price, and it shall be done."

Darkness: Y- You, since when did you get involved in that ?!

Zereschrute: No, i'm not concerned about money. i'm sure you are aware of the state of my finances. My territory is prosperous, and I make great contributions in taxes every year. That's why i'm allowed to hold such a high rank despite my appearance... On that front, it could be said that I contribute more to this country than the Dustiness family that's known for its poverty. Though the Windings Corporation has nothing to be ashamed about on that front.

Darkness; U, Uuu...

Kazuma: ... I see, then, how about using the backing of the Dustines family to help expand your territory ?

Darkness: Kazuma, what are you saying ?! Don't go deciding on your own !

Zereschrute: No, no, I'm quite happy with the lands I currently have. I have no desire to expand my territory at this point.

Kazuma: hey, Darkness, doesn't your family out-rank him ? Can't you use your authority to strong-arm him into giving what we want ?

Darkness: Don't be stupid ! I did say I wouldn't let my principles get in the way earlier, but even so, there's no way i'm doing that !

Zereschrute: I can hear you, you know ?

"... You know, I don't see how all of that would be a problem... Is asking for one of your nails so unreasonable of a demand. After all, should you accept, the children will get to live, you keep your identity secret, I can't help but see that as a win for everyone..."

Zereschrute: I can't see that as anything but a threat.

"... You want a threat ? I'll give you one. Zereschrute-san, right ? There's an Axis Archpriest back in Axel who's very much looking forward to your compliance and can't stand devils. I wonder if I should bring her here shall you refuse."

Darkness: Hey, that's going too far ! I can't tell who's the actual devil now !

Zereschrute: Hahaha, as expected of someone working with Vanir-sama ! I didn't expect there to be a person bold enough to try and intimidate a devil ! Truly amusing ! Well, I'm not entirely without desires. It's just that what I want is not wealth or material goods.

Darkness: Could that be... My body ?! You are eyeing my body, aren't you ?! You want me to offer myself to you in order to save the children ! Damn you, Lord Zereschrute ! As expected of one with the title of the Lord of Brutality. Fooling everyone with your cute appearance, only to reveal the brute hiding inside...

Zereschrute: N- No, that's not it ! Devils have no gender and have no interest in the bodies of humans. Stop making me sound like some kind of brute ! You guys are adventurers, aren't you ? Then, would you like to accept a noble's little challenge ?