Chapter 23

Previously on Chapter 22

I stare at the emerald water. "In our time, it was a chemical that served as the foundation for all kinds of chemical industries..." I said. I turn my head to look at Senku. He turns to look at me with just as serious face. "It's...

Sulfuric Acid

-Life & Death-

Y/N P.O.V

We're back at the village. Ginro just sits by the shed while shaking in fear. I stare at him worriedly as he seem really shaken up. But I don't blame him. He nearly went for a dip into the most dangerous water in the world. If Kohaku didn't pull him away in time, he would have met the same fate as those poor birds.

"What are we going to do now, Senku?" I asked, crossing my arms across my chest. He seem to be deep in thought. He turn to look at me after I asked a question. "We can't progress without the sulfuric acid..." I said.

"We can't?? So, we can't make the sulfa drug without the sulfuric acid?" Chrome said. I turn to look at him. I shake my head to his question. We need sulfuric acid.

"We have to secure a source anyway, or science won't progress any further" Senku said. Kohaku looks troubled by what he said. She turn to look forward to the direction of the sulfuric acid.

"I'll use my speed and gather as much as I can... if it's for Ruri-Nee, I'll sacrifice my life for as much as I need to"she said. I let out a sigh and place a hand on her shoulder, making her turn to look at me over her shoulder.

"It's useless, Kohaku. Even if you can get near the lake. The toxic gas would have killed you. You shouldn't be reckless" I said. She looks upset by what I said. She turn her body to face me.

"Then what are we going to do?? We have to save Ruri-Nee" she said. I turn my head to look at Senku. He let out a chuckle and smirk.

"What else? We're going to make gas mask" he said. I grin at what he said. Of course, with gas mask... we can get closer to the lake and gather as much sulfuric acid as we need.

***

At first, Senku didn't want Chrome and I to come with him. He claimed that if the three of us to die during this mission, it will be the end of science. I mean, he's right about that. But Chrome and I still weren't having any of it. We argued for quite some time until we managed to convince Senku to let us come along.

So today, Chrome, Senku and I will be going to gather some sulfuric acid. We can't convince Ginro to come, because he was still terrified because of what happened yesterday. So we just let him stay behind, leaving only us three. Kohaku need to stay behind so she could observe how things are going with her sister and Kinro's progress for the Grand Bout.

We're now standing in front of the lake. While Chrome is hesitating to come closer towards the lake. Senku and I already descend down the hill.

"Oh crap!!" Chrome yelled out. I turn my head to see him holding onto his gas mask. "Are you both seriously just walking up to it?" He said, in a much calmer voice. I let out a sigh and turn to look forward.

"If you stand around huffing and puffing in fear, you'll end up overwhelming the gas mask's ability to clean the air... freak out too much and you die. Now you know. Come on..." Senku said.

I turn my head to look at him. I notice his hands shaking in fear. I lift my hands to see they're also shaking. One wrong move will cause our lives. We can't afford to make any mistake here.

I quickly shake my head, trying to stop myself from overthinking. I clench my hands tightly as I look forward. I take a deep breath, trying to calm myself. We have to do this... for the sake of humanity.

I stand near the sulfuric lake, trying to gather the some of the dirt near it. I try my best to watch my steps, as I do my work. I turn my head to the side, trying to make sure that I'm not standing too close to the lake.

"Senku! The end of your gas mask is melting! It's about to come loose!" I hear Chrome yelled out. I turn my head to see Senku quickly fixing the mask's tube. I rush over to make sure he's going to be okay. But as I take a step, I feel the ground beneath me breaks. My eyes widened as I feel myself starting to fall towards the lake.

"Y/N!!" Senku and Chrome yelled out. I turn my head to look at the lake. Damn it... it was one small mistake. I close my eyes, accepting my fate. I'm sorry, everyone.

"Y/N!! Grab on!!" Someone yelled out. I open my eyes to see someone thrust a spear towards me. I quickly grabs onto it tightly. I turn my head to see it's Ginro. My eyes widened at the sight of him. He actually came despite his fear.

But he seem to be struggling as Chrome and Senku comes to his aid. He's breathing heavily, as Senku told him to calm down or he's going to overwhelm the mask. Ginro starts crying, thinking he's going to die.

"Ginro! You're strong. The nature didn't have a mind. But you do. You have to focus on your heart and mind. You can do it!" I yelled out. He seem to gain more confidence. He starts to gain more strength.

He let out a battle cry as he throws me away from the lake. I shut my eyes tightly, bracing myself for an impact. But instead of the ground, I feel a pair of arms catching me.

I slowly open my eyes to see it's Chrome. "Are you okay, Y/N?" He asked. I can see the worry reflecting in his eyes as he stares at me for any sign of injury. I let out a sigh of relief and throw my arms around his neck in a tight hug."It's okay, Y/N... you're safe" he whispered.

"I was so scared..." I mumbled. Tears streams down my cheeks. I was so close to death. If Ginro was a second later than that, I would have melted in that deathly acid.

Chrome guides me away from the lake. He told me it's best for me to stay back while they'll go and get some sulfuric acid. He claimed that with my state, it would be dangerous if I try to go.

I sit on top of a rock, waiting for them to come back. I hug my knees close to my chest as I stare at the ground. My whole body is still shaking from almost meeting death. That's the first time I've come close to the death door and it sure was the scariest I've ever experience.

I hear footsteps and turn my head to see Senku, Chrome and Ginro. "We've obtained sulfuric acid!!" Senku said. I grin happily. I let out a loud cheer, along with Chrome and Ginro.

I stand up and rush towards Chrome, throwing my arms around him. I feel both happy and relieved. Happy that we have successfully obtained the acid and relieved that they're all alright. We made it... thank goodness!

*to be continued*