Chapter 23: Shackled Wrists

Start from the beginning

"I know you want me to remember but I can't, " He frustrates, throwing all of his bed sheets off the bed.

"It's okay dad, it'll take some time," I say calmly, feeling tears trickling down at the sight of this side of him.

"Don't call me that, just don't," he yells dismissing my words with his hands all over the place.

"What kind of father doesn't remember his own daughter?" He asks calmly this time, tilting his head to the side. I can see he has tears falling down his cheeks, which make my tears flow faster. He words hit me hard; really hard. But, I just stand there flabbergasted.

"Get out," he commands in full force, motioning his hand towards the door. I look at the plain white door and then back and him, not sure if I am hearing him correctly.

"Get out. Get out. Get out!" He chants in full bitterness, his face completely reddened. I quickly move my legs and pick up the thrown albums from the ground, while rubbing the tears from my face. Once they are all in my backpack, I look at his tortured face one more time before leaving out the door.

"How did it go?" Betsy asks on my way out. I want to walk away but I feel my feet stopping to look at her. She notices my appearance perhaps because she quickly removes the huge grin on her face.

"It's okay honey, don't blame yourself, his medications disturb his mood, try again tomorrow," she encourages sweetly.

I wipe my face with the back of my hand and nod at her. She is right. From today, I could tell that he was trying to remember but couldn't help himself. It was not his doing so he couldn't be blamed for his lack of memory, but him thinking it was his fault he couldn't remember upset me. So, I was determined to come tomorrow and maybe change that.

"Thanks Betsy, I'll see you." I say and she replies with a friendly wave.

I drag my self to school and wait for the bell to ring. I feel awfully lonely standing by myself and watching people enjoy themselves. After two weeks of not hearing from neither Nura nor Sophia, I am satisfied they understand. It's exceptional that Ayah has become somewhat of a replacement, which sounds awful but she is a new friend that I will not let lie in my own pain.

I elevate when I see her stroll towards me.

"Gooooood Morning Aam," she gushes in my ears, bumping me in the side. I look over at her and smile, slighting cringing that she kept the nickname.

"How's it going?" I reply after I muster up a laugh.

"Just came here, how about you?"

"Yeah same."

I made sure I cleaned my face and composed myself before coming into the school. I really didn't want to bother anyone else with my family problems. The world is already a negative place.

"Can I talk to Aamirah?" I hear Adam question out of nowhere, most likely directing it to Ayah.

We both frantically look to our left and there he is, standing and watching me.

"Sure, she's all yours," I see her smile at me and then leave.

"So, how's the progress?" He asks, coming in slightly closer. I notice this and move away, keeping distance between him and his dumped on cologne.

"He's the same as he was when you asked me yesterday," I say through a chuckle because he has been asking me daily and I answer with the same response every time.

"I missed that sound," he mentions and I am slightly puzzled.

"What sound?" I ask looking around to see if I have missed something.