52 x Take it Seriously

"Cynatra Monët Allen, please open this door." Jannelle knocked for the third time. Cynatra called her aunt, invited her over and wasn't answering the door. It was strange.

Jannelle's son and niece already didn't answer, the only person left to call was Juan and their last conversation didn't leave off on the best of terms.

Juan knew that his phone was ringing for a reason and as much as he didn't want to answer it, he did.

"Hello?"

"Juannie, are you at the house?" Juan opened his eyes to mug the phone, Jannelle put a sour taste in his mouth. She truly hurt his feelings. He never had intentions of treating Cynatra as anything less than what she was, a queen. He didn't understand why she threw him under the bus in a moment he needed support the most.

"I'm not, what's up?"

"Cyn isn't answering but she asked me to come over here."

"You want me to get up?"

"No, could you just call her? I know her phone is usually on do not disturb." The space on the phone was awkward and dead. "Listen Juan..."

"Aunt Jannelle, it's fine. We'll talk later."  He didn't allow her the chance to say anything more, he wanted to make sure his woman was good. Calling Cynatra, she answered on the fourth ring. "Unless its a special delivery of pizza with a side of dick, why am I being called so early?"

"That's some crazy energy for someone who scheduled to meet Jannelle at this hour."

"Shit, that's today? I completely forgot, I got caught up in the attic."

That annoyed Juan because he told her not to do anything that could potentially harm her, without him. That attic was a death trap. "Monet, what the fuck man? I told you about doing shit like that. And don't tell me not to talk to you like that because you know better."

Cynatra wasn't mad at all. "I'm sorry." He could tell by her voice she was remorseful, but it was exhausting to keep reminding her that she wasn't alone in this. That was part of the reason he was looking for a home, so they could eliminate those issues. "Ro, say something." She hated when he was upset with her. She was still learning to be dependent.

"Listen, you gotta deal with your aunt. She's at the door. I love you and I'll talk to you later."

"I love you too, I'm sorry."

"I heard you." He hung up, causing her heart to drop. Cynatra would be thinking about him being upset all day. Dragging her feet, she made her way to the front door.

"Hey, sorry." She opened the door wider so that Jannelle could walk in. "I was in the attic."

"And why the hell were you up there alone? I know that boy gave you a word." Jannelle pointed. "He did and I gotta make it up to him later. But, since we're talking about him, lets."

They sat on the couch next to one another, just filling the space. Cynatra and Jannelle rarely had disagreements. They were close. It was unfortunate that such a happy moment turned sour. "Before we talk about him, I need to apologize to you. I am so sorry I robbed you of your happy moment. I just didn't know how to respond. Of course I'm happy for you, but I'm so scared. I lost my mind finding out about everything that happened to you. I just want you to feel safe, I want you happy and healthy."

Cynatra felt a bit of peace hearing the apology. It broke her heart that her aunt responded that way, siding her her sperm donor at a time where she was scared herself. She thought everyday about her chances of potentially loser her child, or how difficult it's already been. It was a blessing so far but a tough one to bare.