1 x The World is Yours

Juan sat on the ottoman near the windowsill bench Cynatrat favored. He had only been in that room a handful of times but this being the longest.

"The will reading is on Wednesday, are you going to be able to make it?" He didn't respond right away, she hurried to speak again, "Aunt Jannelle asked, that's why I'm asking."

"Yeah, I have an appointment that morning at seven with a client and then I can come over after. What time is the reading?"

Cyn checked her phone's calendar to see that it said 'twelve thirty pm'.

"Afternoon, so you should be good."
"Do you want me to pick you up?"

She thought for a moment, over the course of the week she had grown to appreciate his presence. Without her Uncle Jamie, she didn't have anyone to go to. She didn't have many friends, as no one she considered a friend showed up to the funeral. Her relationships with her cousins were strained due to the drama of their parents. Juan had stepped into a place that didn't exist and Cynatra wasn't sure how long he would keep it.

Juan worked with her uncle at Round 1 which was James' gym. It was a pillar in the Oakland community and it would be a great loss if it had to shut down. There were community programs that helped keep the youth out of trouble and the homeless a place to stay. Within the last year, there were renovations being made to make Round 1 into a community center. It had been expensive and a few months ago a halt in production changed the stress levels within the Allen family.

"Only if you want to." She shrugs not wanting to feel needy. Cynatra hated feeling needy.

"And I want to, so where do you want me to pick you up from?"
"I'll be here on Wednesday, packing."

"You're selling the house?" He looked at her in disbelief, James loved that house, he was proud that he kept it in the family.

"Jeffery wants to and Jannelle doesn't care. They have more say than I do, so I'm just going to cut my loses and let them have it."

Juan wouldn't bud into her family issues even more than he had during this week. And trust, he was pushed to a limit with Jeffery Allen already.

He was taught to respect his elders and for the most part he did. This one person set him off every time and no matter the time and distance away from the deadbeat, the least favorite Allen was always going to be on his shit list.

"That's tough." They sat in silence for a moment before he spoke again. "I gotta make sure the family gets home, you know since I had to drive. I'll call you tomorrow?"

"Yeah, if that's what you want to do. I'll walk you to the door."

Cynatra and Juan walked through her family's home to exit through the front door. There were people on the porch still talking and drinking.

"You sure you not gonna need help cleaning this? I could come back later and help."

Cyn shook her head, "No, you've done more than enough. Worry about getting Ms. Pat home. I'll get my family to help."

Juan nodded in understanding, he extended his arms for a hug. "I'll talk to you in the morning."

"You know I don't like being up early, call after eleven or something." She hugged him back which comforted her.

Saturday morning started off rough. Cynatra woke up in the house full of chaos. Family members were staying for the next week and she didn't trust anyone in the house without her in it. She couldn't run any errands and it was killing her that the house wasn't cleaned last night. House full of people and nothing was done. No one felt obligated to do anything.