Chapter 22: Anchored

Start from the beginning

With hand over mouth, I sprint for the bathroom and empty my insides. Then, I dictate myself to stand  strong.

None of this feels good.

It hurts so much, so fast.

I enter homeroom and exhale relief when my schedule is kind. For the first two periods, I concentrate on hearing my father's voice to annihilate the fact that everything is crumbling.

The teachers are too strict and the assignments already pile. And then, I'm also very alone. But it doesn't matter because the larger part of me doesn't want to be social.

By lunch, I ignore my texts to nap in my car.

There is something overwhelmingly nerving about being alone at lunch. You just appear so vulnerable.

It's the worst.

I try but fail sleep. Sticking my eyes into trees and I am shaken by my alarm clock. I groan, not wanting to go back. Yet, my better judgment wins and I am running to my next class.

Once again, I recognize no one so I nest in the back, something I never do. I observe the students entering, my mood drowning even further. But then Adam walks with the Brunette and then I'm done. Completely.

I control the urge to crack the desk with my head by passively staring at the board. Even when they sit right in front of me, I just rock my knees.

Her purposefully loud giggles and hair whips, quickly make my fingers twitch. The hurt runs endless at the sight of Adam's full captivation by her.

I want to go home.

The relief sweeps over when the teacher finally arrives. She writes Sarah Olsen on the board before twirling around in her mint green dress. Her smile slightly takes away the anxiety I am feeling. She just seems like the warmest person.

"Seating plan" She announces so sweetly I forget to groan with the rest of the class.

I stand up like everyone else and one by one, she calls out two pairs of people to a conjoined desk. It's a slow and treacherous process with my view of hands touching Adam.

"Aamirah and Sebastian, over there," I'm awakened, being directed to the far right of the class.

I sit beside a blonde haired and blue eyed individual, who carries very prominently luxurious features. I attempt to ignore him but that deems impossible with his obviously expensive cologne.

"Adam and Josephine, right here," she continues, directing to the seats in front of us. The brunette tries to fight it, but Ms.Olsen moves along.

"I'm Sebastian," I hear an intensely deep voice followed by a hand in my field of vision.

"Aamirah," I nod, smiling friendly in an attempt to dive the lack of hand shake.

"Adam," he appears in speed. I watch his jaw clench as he looks intensely at Sebastian, the grip of his hand tightening as Sebastian's hand pales.

Judging from the mutual stare, they give away hints of a vendetta.

I'm not sure what to feel, especially the indifference from Adam. Maybe he was too drunk.

Maybe that's good.

It breaks when Ms. Olsen begins explaining the course outline. She zooms through, wasting no time before making everyone play a mindless bingo ice breaker. I get my sheet and am halted by said brunette.

"Naomi, I am sure you remember me," She introduces, the narcissism thick.

"Aamirah" I nod before walking away.