Chapter 5 - Part 1

A month after visiting the hospital Michelle was staying in, she had yet to be released. She eventually woke up, asking me not to tell anyone what happened. Michelle was hit by a semi truck, luckily, she was okay. No brain damage, and she had her memory. The only thing wrong is the fact that she broke her leg and her right wrist. "Are you sure you don't want me to tell them? Niall and Harry are worried sick about you." "Please don't tell them." She replied weakly. "Bailee, I need advice. I'm sick of Niall and Harry constantly fighting over me. How do I end it with Niall without hurting him?" "You want to end it with Niall? But why? Why not just tell Harry to leave you alone?" "I guess I could try that, when I get out anyway." "I have no more excuses for leaving the guys everyday. Can I please tell them you're here, and okay?" I asked frustrated. "NO! and that's final." Michelle ordered.

That night, I went home and what was awaiting wasn't pleasant. "You're cheating on me aren't you. You don't want to get married. You want to break up with me, you just don't know how. Right?" Zayn asked as soon as I walked in the door. The look on his face was disturbing. It was a mixture between heartbreak and anger. "No, Zayn of course not. I'm not cheating on you!" "Then were have you been recently? Huh? Everyday, you leave at about 2 in the afternoon and don't get back until 8 at night!" "Zayn, I told you I" "Yeah, yeah. You got a job and that's your work hours. If that was true then why did I call your 'work' today asking for you? Huh? Why did the manager tell me you don't work there?! Why did you lie to me!?" "Because I was visiting Michelle in the hospital!" I said it. I told Zayn where Michelle was. I didn't mean to, but he thinks I'm cheating on him. What was I supposed to say? I quickly covered my mouth once I realized what I had said. "Michelle? You were... you were visiting Michelle... In the hospital? How long has this been going on?" Zayn demanded. "About a month. The day I ran out while us and the guys were talking about it, in Liam's flat, the hospital she's been staying at called me. I went there and found Michelle. I've been visiting her everyday since." I spat in return. "Oh yeah, then why haven't you told any of us?" "Because she told me not to. You don't know how many times I wanted to. Wanted to yell it to make Niall and Harry shut up. But I swore to Michelle that I wouldn't tell anybody. Not even you. That's why I had to lie about work. To protect Michelle." "Protect her? What are you talking about." "Zayn, she was hit by a semi truck the night Harry and Niall fought. They're the reason this happened to her. She's terrified of being around them. She knows they'll fight, and she knows something bad will happen." I replied, softening my tone. Zayn was in pure shock. He just stood there, staring at me. Struggling to understand what I just told him. "You mean, she could've died... and" "It would've been Niall and Harry's fault? Yes." I answered, finishing Zayn's sentence for him. "I'll be back." Zayn announced, grabbing his keys, jacket, and giving me a kiss on the cheek. "Zayn, where are you going?" I asked, turning to face him. "I have to do something." He declared, turning and slamming the front door shut. "I love you." He called, running back up to the door, shutting it softly this time. "Love you too."

Zayn's P.O.V*

"Niall! Harry! Shut the fuck up and stop fighting for ten minutes!" I ordered, stomping into Niall's flat, where him and Harry were currently arguing. They immediately shut up when they saw me, my eyes burning with anger. "Zayn, you okay man?" Harry asked, turning his full attention on me, Niall soon mimicking Harry. "Do you two realize what you've done? Michelle is in the hospital." The news was a shock to both of them, I could tell by the look in their eyes. "What hospital? I have to go see her!" Niall exclaimed, grabbing his things. "NO! Sit down. Both of you." Luckily, they obeyed, both dropping their coats and keys and taking a seat on the couch. "Because you two selfish assholes, Michelle is in the hospital. Friday night, when she left you guys, she got hit by a semi truck. She could've died, and it would've been all your fault! Now, would the two of you stop fighting?" I asked, exasperated. Niall and Harry immediately started apologizing to each other. They promised not to act this way again, no matter who Michelle chose. All they wanted was for her to be happy. "Can we go see her?" Niall asked, standing, soon followed by Harry. "Tomorrow. At 2, Bailee doesn't want anyone to know, so I'll keep her occupied. And if Michelle asks how you two found out, say I heard Bailee on the phone with the nurses when they called, and that I told you. Okay? She didn't want Bailee to tell anyone, but she told me today. I don't want Michelle mad at Bailee." I ordered, walking out of the room and heading back to my flat. Now, how am I going to explain to Bailee what just happened without her getting angry with me? I don't think that's actually possible. Walking up the steps, and stopping by the front door, I thought 'Here goes nothing.'