43- shattered glass

"Happy birthday!" everyone shouted as we entered the main living room of the house.  I smiled at ben giggling at his red face as everyone was whooping and cheering. 

"alright, that's enough" his face bright red as he pulled me closer to him trying to hide behind my tiny frame. His hands on my waist, he stood behind me and rested his chin on the top of my head attempting to push me into all the socializing and greeting of the family.

Everyone came up to hug him and chat with him as he held my hand firmly the whole time. 

"let's get a drink, god knows we will need it" he joked as he squeezed my hip, knowing I can't drink

we filled our glasses as mine was filled with orange juice, and his with champagne.

"happy birthday my love" I looked deeply into his eyes with my normal mischievous innocent smile

"mmm can't wait until we get back into bed when this is all over" he nibbled my ear as I wriggled playfully under his grip.

The night was beautiful, everyone looked so nice and the conversations were flowing in. The house was filled with music and laughter and I didn't want it to end.

The first crack in the glass.

There was a sudden slamming of a door as I saw George leave the room to check the noise. A babbling noise came around the corner as I saw Matt. Matt was kicked out of my own birthday party for his careless words. And now he is here again. Casey was with him, she didn't look totally well. She was swaying, and so was Matt. 

"what the fuck do you think you're doing" George hissed, it was so quiet but I could still hear it. He had a strong grip on his wife's arm as he pulled her close trying to steady her. She didn't care, she kept swaying and laughing at her husband's words telling her off.

I looked across the room and saw Ben observing the situation like a hawk as he put his drink down and calmly walked over. Sweeping through the crowd he came up to Matt resting his hand on his shoulder  "Matt, what a surprise... I'd offer you a drink but I think you've had enough" Ben said with a snarky smile on his lips.

"no need Ben, I'm just here to celebrate with my family... on your big day!" matt slurred

I looked closer and I noticed matt had a very bad scar on the side of his face, it looked newly healed, but the scar tissue was still very pink. I remembered that on my birthday he was taken to be dealt with, and now I'm realizing just what that entailed.

'CLO! you look great as always..." he stumbled past Ben toward me as my eyes flashed to ben quickly seeing him slightly on edge. 

"oh um, thank you matt you look... well" I gave a shy smile as he reached out for my shoulders shaking me slightly in a brotherly way and making me awkwardly laugh.

"doesn't she always look so classy?" Casey said in the back as she tried to come over to me but George held her back.

"excuuuuuse me dear husband, I would like to see my sister-in-law please," she said sarcastically as she let out a chuckle at her own joke.

Ben nodded at George so subtly that I nearly didn't notice, and George let go of her as she stumbled across to me. "I've missed you sooooo much, it's no fun when I'm locked up in the house" she giggled.

"oh well, why don't you just knock on my door we can always do something when you are bored," I said earnestly, making her fill with glee.

"lets! now, where is all the food I am starving!" she walked past me and she basically ran to the snack table.