30

Ben

A bang at the door woke me up suddenly as Dad's head popped through the gap. "Hey come help me with this tree will you?"

I was barely awake, rubbing my eyes. "W-what?"

"C'mon, get dressed. Out front in 15 minutes."

His eyes turned to something beside me as he looked a bit awkward, clearing his throat. I looked over my shoulder to see Clo lying on her front and her slender back exposed. I remembered we were both naked and had a momentary panic with dad standing meters away. I quickly pulled the sheets over her as Dad turned around and left.

I left her in bed to sleep on for a while. I leaned down and kissed her cheek tenderly, lingering for a little while.

I reluctantly pulled myself away and closed the door behind me. We haven't really been apart these past few weeks so leaving her is a strange feeling.

I came into the kitchen and dad had made me some coffee. "Thanks, sleep well?"

"I should be asking you that... how was she after last night's events?"

I swallowed a mouthful of warm coffee. "Uh, fine. She's a special one... she listens which is good. If I tell her to forget about it or that it's fine then she believes me."

"Well that's good she wasn't upset. But I think she's going to ask at some point, Ben."

"Yeah... I think she found some pictures last night in my desk. She was about to ask about it I think but I got her mind off of it."

Dad let out a small chuckle as he raised his eyebrow. Realising what he implied I interjected "oh shut up, not- ah forget it. Are we getting this tree or what?"

"Yeah yeah... let's head off then. Finish your coffee."

We both left amused as we drove off at 7am to chop down the old dead tree on the hill. By the time we would come back Clo would be up and moving, something exciting to come back to.

*

Clodagh

The smell of fresh bread filled my nose. I peeled my eyes open as I stretched my whole body letting a little groan escape my mouth. My hand rested on Ben's side as I noticed he wasn't there.

I sat up clutching the sheets around my body. Ben must be downstairs already, it's 8.30 after all he's probably just up.

I made my way to the cupboard and picked out a large looking college T-shirt of Ben's. It sat loose on me as it came down just covering my behind. There were a pair of old grey joggers that looked like they wouldn't fall off of me. Now dressed, I tied my hair back into a rough bun and washed my face as I went downstairs.

The house was quiet. The sun was blaring through all the windows lighting it up in a beautiful golden glow. Mornings in Alaska were something else... I've never felt so calm and peaceful.

The rattling of utensils caught my attention. Eve was cooking, the smell of bread making me hungry. "Good Morning you! How about scrambled eggs on fresh bread for breakfast?"

I smiled widely "that would be amazing! But let me do it, please! I don't want you to bother yourself."

She scoffed at me amusingly "oh quiet you... you go sit down and watch some tv and relax, I'll get you a coffee." She turned me around leading me to the sofa as she squeezed my shoulders lovingly.

I sat on the sofa as Eve stood beside me a moment. She tucked a loose strand of hair back behind my ear. "You look beautiful this morning. You've got those beautiful big blue eyes from Rob." Her expression turning sadder as it looked like she was having a run through memory lane.