16- revelations

"your mum looked at me a little strangely earlier, she said I reminded her of someone..." I trailed off as I was getting a cup of tea, Ben sitting on the sofa by the fire. He didn't really answer but I saw his head perk up at my words. "oh? is that all she said?" he inquired.

"um... yeah, I'm guessing it's someone from ages ago, maybe a schoolfriend. do you know?" he shook his head and cleared his throat. "no i-i cant think who it could be" that's strange. "oh, well I hope I don't upset her too much" I came over to the sofa with his mug in hand. "No way, no she feels far from upset looking at you, she's so happy you are here." He intersected me with, looking genuinely concerned. I sat down beside him and leaned my back up against the arm of the sofa and he lifted my legs up over his as they rested over his lap, his free hand lightly caressing me just above my knee.

We were all of a sudden so close as if we'd been dating for a while. But really we haven't exactly communicated much these past weeks. If it weren't for yesterday in the rain, I'd still be talking to myself and daydreaming the long hours away. So this affection he is showing me is very sudden, quite unexpected. Of course, I've never experienced these things before so it's all a new world to me, and I'm intrigued now as I've grown to get used to him. He may have been very violent at the start, grumpy these past weeks, but when he wants to be nice and shows affection for me, you can tell he really means it and doesn't want to be moody towards me.

*

a few days went by and we decided to make an apple pie one evening which I mentioned was my favourite. he wrapped an apron around me, tying it at the back and allowing his hands to feel my waist and stomach, planting a soft trail of kisses on my shoulder and up my neck.

I let out a small giggle as he tickled me and I squirmed as he held me tighter. I let out a playful yelp and he nuzzled my neck, letting out a faint growl against my skin making me melt. We assembled all the ingredients, mixing, stewing, measuring everything. I got to assemble the pie with his help holding the pastry. It got a little bit messy as the filling oozed out one corner. I licked the apple off of my thumb and Ben took my hand in his and brought his lips down, sucking and licking the mixture off my fingers delicately and somehow, sensually. I blushed slightly at this closeness. "tastes amazing" he congratulated me as he lowered my hand. "thank you, it's the way my mum always does it" I said nudging into his side.

later on, we enjoyed our freshly baked apple pie by the fire, we shared a big double slice on the same plate and both grabbed a fork each. It was so good, I've missed my mum's apple pie so much, I hadn't been back home since easter time. It just hit me then, my mum. what is she doing right now, what's been happening back home. it's been about a month since I went missing so I wonder what the police response has been like. surely they have made an appeal back home to find me... " You ok?" he asked. I snapped myself out of it "Yeah um... I'm good I just uhh haven't had this recipe in a while, reminds me of home."

He didn't say anything for a minute. "Is it just your mum at home then..." I was a bit confused, it's like he knows my family arrangements. "uh yea just my mum, my brother lives in his own flat, he's 22." I noticed a key component to this conversation, he never mentioned my dad. He obviously knew if he wasn't asking, but why didn't he? "My dad died a year ago." he stopped and looked at me. He put the plate down leaving it on the coffee table giving me his full attention. "I knew that, I just didn't want to mention it" he confessed.

"no it's fine, it was cancer... hit him pretty quickly. He was American too you know! But he didn't have any family, he doesn't even know where he was born. So he grew up in foster care in Montana and when he was 22 he saved up enough money to fly over to Ireland and that's how he met mum!" I laughed recalling the details. "you know, He only knew mum for 4 months before he asked her to marry him! And within 7 months, my brother was on the way." he looked mildly amused, he flinched at the foster care mention but I just looked over it. He probably felt sorry for him.