15- family gathering

Clodagh

Patrick is really friendly, but It sort of makes me uncomfortable that his family are fine with Ben bringing me here. I just have to put on a nice smile I suppose and be friendly. They seem to be really keen to meet me after all... I don't want to disappoint Ben.

I looked back at Ben nervously and he smiled back giving me a slight nod, reassuring me. I let out a deep exhale and continued down the hall with Patrick.

He looked a bit younger than Ben, he had that same dark hair and blue eyes. There was no doubt they were related. He was smaller than Ben, he was about 6'2 standing over my 5'5 figure. Patrick looked maybe 5'10.

We came into a room with a roaring fire and the most amazingly huge skylight. My shoulders stiffen as my hands retreat into my sleeves when I see the people in front of me.

An elderly woman sitting on the sofa next to me, must be Eve, an elderly man sitting on an armchair at the foot of the room. Must be Connor. But it didn't stop there... there were was a young man who looked maybe late 20s sitting beside a young girl around the same age. She was the odd one out, the only blonde in the room. She was strikingly beautiful though.

I wasn't expecting these young people so I sort of stared between them for a minute awkwardly. Ben comes up behind me, removing Patrick's grip on me and takes my hand in both of his. He snaps me out of my trance and I scoot closer to him.

"Clo this is George and his wife Casey." Casey came over and hugged me which took me by surprise but I welcomed it and embraced her back. "It's so nice to meet you, we are going to get on so well you and I!" She spoke and it made you just smile along with her, she was like a ray of sunshine.

"Hi Clodagh, it's great to have you. You'll fit right in with us" he gave me a short kiss on the cheek making me hang my head blushing. "Clodagh is deadly shy George, keep all that to yourself" Ben said rubbing my back and laughing.

"Now these are my parents, Clo." I came up to them and Connor met me with a short hug. "Would you like tea or coffee dear? You're very welcome with us." I nodded "Thank you, it's lovely to meet you... I didn't know about you until last night so I'm still adjusting..." he gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze and made his way to the kitchen.

Now Eve came towards me, she looked sort of sad in a way. She came up to me and held my face in her hands, inspecting me. "Look at you dear. You're a picture, those eyes" she glanced at Ben with a look I couldn't quite translate. "You sit down beside me, you boys can all talk amongst yourselves, we will have girl time" I turned to Ben and he gave me another smile of permission and I followed Eve to the sofa as Ben turned to talk to his brothers.

"How are you dear, have you been ok over there?" My breath became uneven for a moment as I saw Ben turn his head, listening in. "Y-yes yes I've been fine. It was  weird at the start just getting used to things but I'm absolutely fine now!" Her eyes flickered to the red scar on my cheek. I went a bit red myself touching the mark. "Oh haha I went kayaking a few weeks ago and had an accident, scraped my face on the rocks." I lied as She nodded, seeming more content now. Bens eyes met mine and he gave me a smile of approval.

She was still looking at me with a sad look in her eyes. "I'm sorry haha I don't usually stare dear. You just remind me of someone that's all. I haven't seen them in years. Besides we don't see many new faces round here." I gave her a sympathetic look "that's alright, continue to look away! I really want to get to know you Eve, It would be nice to have a woman to turn to when I need it."

"Ben is a treasure, but you still need the support of another woman here darling. I'm here anytime you need me, all hours of the day. Look at me as a grandmother figure, the old wise bat of the family!" We both laughed as she held my hands. It felt so nice to be with another female. Especially Eve, she was so sweet.

"Here's some tea babe" my heart fluttered hearing Ben call me 'babe'. That's new. I gave a shy embarrassed smile and took the mug from him. He saw my reaction and chuckled a bit. He likes how shy I am, he's attracted to it. I can tell he wouldn't really like me if I was outspoken and overly confident. He liked this quiet reserved energy about me, not many people do so it fills me with gratitude that he likes me like this.

We spent the whole morning talking, getting to know everyone. They were all laughing at various things, telling me some embarrassing stories in the family. Ben's stories were hilarious. Eve told us about the time when he was 5 and he spilled a whole bucket of cream over him and proceeded to sit on the sofa until Eve found him. He put his head in his hands laughing and hiding himself in embarrassment. I took his hands and peeled them away revealing his face, and looking at each other in stitches. I put my head on his shoulder a moment.

I haven't laughed like that and enjoyed myself so much in a very long time. George and Patrick were asking me various questions, mainly about back home. Ben forgot to mention he has sole Irish ancestry. Something like his great grandparents moving over from Kerry in the turn of the century and they've been in this same plot of land ever since. "Why didn't you mention that! That would have been a good conversational topic you know"
"It must have slipped my mind, but yes we are all Irish."

That was nice knowing that even a tiny bit of Irish culture was around me. Eve bakes soda bread every Sunday and makes a huge pot of stew for everyone to enjoy for Sunday lunch. I was so excited because Ben said we could go and it was only 2 days away!

We stayed the whole afternoon, making sandwiches for lunch with Eve and Casey. I brought the huge plate out to everyone in the living room with a big smile on my face. Ben smiled on at me too, he looked proud . Proud of me for enjoying myself and behaving most of all.

After more talking it got to around 4pm and Ben stood up "well I think that's us off. We better start dinner plans and get washed up" I stood up too slightly tired from the excitement of the day. I yawned widely "better get you off to have a nap" he laughed , taking my hand.

We said our goodbyes as I hugged everyone, now very comfortable with them all. It was nice knowing they are right down the drive, literally. But we headed off waving goodbye.

We walked along the path hand in hand. "Thank you Ben that was amazing, I literally can't thank you enough" I smiled sweetly. "I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, we can go over as much as you want, I drop in at least once a day to be honest, we are all very close."

I was excited to be here for the first time. This family unit he had felt amazing. I never had a big family, no cousins, no extended family members. And there's so much more of them. His uncles, aunts, cousins, they all live in the area. All accommodating this mass of land we are on like a large village except everyone is related. The community they have formed sounded amazing to me!

I just felt so happy. Genuinely happy, knowing I've got this family who seem to really love me. I just feel wholly loved at the minute...