Confessions and regret

I couldnt focus.

I made Tasha dinner, kissed her on the forehead like a good boyfriend should, i even gave her a foot massage, but all i could think about was Jean.

I hadn't seen her all day, every time i left my room i'd hear a door close. She was avoiding me. I really messed things up.

"Will, come to bed so we can snuggle!!" Tasha whined from my bed, all her clothes were strewn about on my floor even though it's only been a day.

"In a second just editing something." I smiled warmly at her through tired eyes. I breathed relieved that she didnt press further, I hadn't told her yet about me being a youtuber, or that my name was actually Mark.

I clicked upload on my latest video and thats when i noticed a video in my recommended, it had a million views and it was by.. Jean?

I raised an eyebrow and clicked on it, I laughed at Jean chasing Sunday around.

I hadn't seen her like this in a long time, like herself.

"Jeanie in a bottle, out!" She signed off and the video ended. I didn't realise i had just sat through a twenty minute video feeling like it was 2 minutes. I clicked on her channel to see more, she went to a horse show today!? And WON?

I looked through more of her videos and found one that was posted the same day we had our first fight. I hesitated for a moment but curiosity got the better of me and i clicked on the video.

"Hey youtube, JeanPlaysMusic here. This cover goes out to all the lonely hearts out there. You deserve the world. Okay, here it goes." Jean said and started singing Taylor Swifts song 'you belong with me'.

Her voice was angelic, but i felt so much guilt. These lyrics were obviously about me. All this time i never stopped to think how Jean feels. Ive completely ignore her needs.

I had to get some water my throat felt like it was closing up so i left my room not bothering to check the clock, it was definitely past midnight though.

I slowly closed the bedroom door so I wouldnt wake up Tasha and went to slowly turn when i caught someone else in the darkness looking at me.

"Jean" I said surprised.

She was in her pajamas and had a piece of toast in her mouth, i wanted to laugh at her messy state but i was frozen in silence.

"Mark" Jean replied similarly but looked more disgruntled than surprised.

"What are you doing up so late?" I asked quietly.

She looked at me and then looked at her toast, "getting toast..?" she said confused.

"Didn't you have dinner?" I

"..this is my dinner?" She replied plainly.

We both stood in silence awkwardly until Jean twisted her door handle to go into her room, "Welp, nice talk." She said sarcastically.

Without thinking i stepped forward panicked, "Wait!-" I called

What are you doing Mark What's happening oh please no

Jean looked over at me confused but stopped moving, her hand still firmly gripping the door handle. She waited for me to say something, anything really.

Mark dont you dare My inner thoughts compelled me to stop whatever it was i was about to do but i didnt want to listen.

"I know that you know" I finally blurted out.

"Wha?" She tilted her head confused.

"Bob told me." I said and her eyes widened to a look of understanding.

"Mark.. I.." She stammered, her eyes focusing on the ground.

Mark, stop it, stop right now My thoughts screamed at me, but i couldnt help stepping closer. "If I had known- i swear, i never would have.. You know, with Tasha." I blabbed waving my hands anxiously trying to grab at any sort of coherence.

Jean looked up at me finally, her brows were furrowed and her plump lips were a morphing into a half frown.

"This is all a huge misunderstanding I-" Jean held up a hand as a command of silence and I froze.

"Why are you telling me this..?" Jean asked monotone, her voice was low but smooth.

I gulped, sweat was now coating my forehead, "I just.. I.. we.." I stuttered, not even I knew what point i was trying to make. I could feel my pulse with every fibre of my being, it was screaming at me, YOU LOVE HER

"Your newly moved in girlfriend is in there right now waiting for you." She pointed, I understood at that moment that her face was infact a look of disgust.

My heart sank, she was right. No matter what my heart was telling me, I was dating Tasha.

"I don't know whats happening to you right now, but you need to figure your shit out." She said turning and opening her door, but in one last outburst I called out,

"Wait!" I said lunging forward but caught myself before I got any closer.

She turned and looked at me, there was so much coldness in her usually lively hazel eyes, i wanted to drop dead right there.

I stood up straight and clenched my shaking fists to stop them from moving, "Do you still have feelings for me..?" I asked, the ringing in my ears returned, deafening any outside noise.

She turned to me with her hand still on the handle, "Right now I dont think I even see you as a friend." She replied coldly and walked into her room, closing the door in my face.

Tears weld in my eyes, but I did not cry. I don't deserve to cry. I straightened my posture and went back into my room and closed the door. I got into my boxers and silently climbed into bed, the commotion woke up tasha and she groggily hugged at my waist.

"Mm.. Pookiebear.." She murmurred nuzzling into me, i prayed she could not feel my still rapid beating heart.

"Hey Tash.." I whispered back stroking her hair as i stared blankly at the ceiling until the sun came up.