This Can't Be Happening

authors note! Just when things were about to get good :( also if any of you are wondering this is actually my horse in red dead redemption 2! When I saw her for sale I knew I had to buy her immediately! I mainly just play the game for the horses... I'm still a tough cowgirl though. ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

I was now in my riding gear and I couldn't be more excited. Of course, Sunday would need to be looked over to see if he had any injuries and hopefully he won't be too traumatized to ride. I hope my bond with him is strong enough already for him to trust me.

I went over to his stable and opened the window for him to stick his head out immediately and when he saw me his ears pricked up and he whinnied excitedly.

"Sunday! How are you feeling bud?" I asked stroking him on the nose. He snorted,

"I'll take that as you're hungry!" I giggled and handed him a mint which he gobbled up gleefully. His lip flapped open from the strong new taste.

"No one given you a mint before, ey? They're good huh." I smiled and give him another.

"If I know any better I'd say that horse was in love with you." Mark joked and I looked over at him surprised.

"Mark! How long have you been standing there?" I asked while Sunday nuzzled me in search of more treats.

"Not long, honest." He said with his arms crossed.

"Whatever you say.." I said and then went and got food for Sunday. He now had his own bucket and mark got new food that is actually good for horses and I went back to Sunday with it.

"Here you go, boy!" I said putting it in the stable and I took off his rug. Now that it was light out I saw the state he was in. Not too skinny to ride but his ribs were definitely too defined. He also had multiple scars and fresh lacerations from improper whipping. "You poor soul.." I said stroking him.

I gave him a quick brush and then got his numnah that Mark had also bought. It was a galaxy pattern. So far so good. Then I put on the saddle and tightened the girth around his belly, but no response.

Sunday, now finished with his food looked up at me intrigued.

"Are you okay with this, Sunny?" I asked stroking his nose and in response, he lowered his head and kept it there, was he waiting for me to put on the bridle? I grabbed the bridle and he slipped into it so easily.

"Good boy!!" I scratched under his messy forelock and then took him out.

Mark was already waiting with his horse Freddy all saddled up. "You ready for your first riding session?" Mark asked excitedly.

I giggled and tutted my finger, "Need I remind you I have over ten years of riding experience?" I smirked and Mark looked away embarrassed that he had forgotten.

"Right yea.. You were a horse girl." He laughed and I punched him lightly.

"Come on, we can use the indoor school since no one will be using it until 3," I said leading Sunday towards the ring.

"You know everyone's schedules?" Mark asked and I rolled my eyes.

"Well duh, I have been working here long enough to know when I have free time!" I said plainly and Mark nodded following close behind.

We got there and Mark got on Freddy and started warming up while I got the footstool and moved it to the middle.

Patting Sunday I looked him in the eyes cooly, "Are you okay with this, boy?" I asked and as if he understood me he bowed his head.

I took that as a yes and placed my foot in the left stirrup and hoisted myself onto Sunday's back. The large thoroughbred stirred uncomfortably under this new weight but I patted his mane comfortingly,

"It's ok, I'm not going to hurt you." I said and Sunday stood still to my relief.

"That horse really does trust you." Mark smiled impressed.

"It's not hard to get a horse to trust you, if your heart is good they usually can tell.." I smiled warmly still stroking Sunday's brittle mane. Some supplements and good healthy food will rejuvenate it in no time at all.

I kicked lightly at his flank and he took that with stride and began to walk. I praised him with every step and eventually he gained some confidence and held his head up high.

"Let's see if you can trot," I said and kicked him lightly again and he started to trot.

"Good boy!!" I cheered.

"Do you think he's ready to canter?" Mark asked also trotting.

I patted Sunday and shook my head, "This is enough for one day. We've made a lot of progress with him, I don't want to overwork him." I said getting off.

Mark got off too and we walked back to the stables, exchanging some banter on the way when Mark shushed me and held a hand out stopping me in my tracks.

"Tasha, you hide I'll distract her." He said and I nodded going behind the stables. I watched Mark go up to her waving politely.

"Tasha! How are you?" I heard Mark ask her.

She squealed and hugged him making me gag.

They talked for a long while and I guess I wasn't well-hidden enough because Tasha saw me finally and smirked and then whispered something to Mark before...

My heart stopped.

She kissed him.

Tears welled in my eyes and I pulled myself up onto Sunday and I whispered in his ear,

"Go," I said and He knew exactly what I meant and bolted away towards the hacking trail. I couldn't be here right now. I had to get away. To where it all started.