I must be dreaming

I made it just in time it seems, looks like there were only a couple more horses left to compete and the register stall was still open!

I jumped off of Sunday and ran over with him at my side.

"Hey I'm here to register!" I said out of breath and placed the $50 bill down on the table.

The two people at the stall looked me up and down and scoffed.

"Ma'am, this is a dignified sport, not a hoedown." The lady to the right said stone faced.

I looked at myself and Sunday and grimaced at our state. We were covered in flecks of mud and we were dishelved beyond belief.

"Sorry i didnt have time to change but I swear we are very serious about this!" I pleaded.

"How do i say this nicely, um, buzz off you dirty hillbilly." The lady said with such venom i wanted to punch her right then and there but i was distracted by a hand reaching infront of the lady. The man beside her smirked with his hand out to silence the lady,

"Actually, let's see how this goes. Everyone loves a rodeo clown after all." he smirked and I clenched my fists.

The lady rolled her eyes and took out a pen, "Fine, name?" She asked with a form in hand.

"Jean Wilder" I said proudly.

"Uhuh, name of horse?" She said writing it down.

"Sunday" I replied.

"Show name, dear. Not pet name." The lady frowned.

Shoot. I hadn't even thought about show names! I looked over at Sunday and struggled to think of a name. I laughed at myself when a certain name popped into my head. It was definitely a dark name, considering Sundays recent situation of nearly being turned into dog food.

"Sunday Roast." I said finally.

The lady scoffed again and wrote it down.

"Alright, you're the last one on, make your way into the ring when your name is called." The lady said and handed me a number card to wear on my vest.

"Thank you you wont regret this!" I smiled.

"Trust me i already do." The lady sneered but i didnt care and went over to the ring to watch and to check out the jumps.

This place was more legit than i thought! Everyone, including the spectators were wearing fancy suits. Even the horses looked wealthy!

"Okay blue is one.. Red is two.. Three four five... one again then six.. Seven then three.. Okay.. mhm.." I studied the jumps not even paying attention to the riders and only snapped back to my senses when i heard my name being called.

"Up next is a late entry, a Miss Jean Wilder and her Thouroughbred, Sunday Roast!" The announcer called.

I took a deep breath and got onto Sunday and walked into the pen.

I could hear murmurs of disapproval and laughter in the audience and my stomach did nervous flips. This was really happening. I was competing again. So soon as well, in such a serious competition!

"Well folks, we've got a silly one today. We get one every year!" The announcer joked and the audience laughed louder.

I gulped and tried to ignore them and got into position.

I bent down and stroked Sundays mane, i could tell he was nervous, this is probably hard for him too. "Just do your best and have fun, that's all that matters, okay? Whatever place we get I will still love you." I said and i could feel Sunday de-tense a bit.

The bell rang and we both sprang to action. Blue Red three four Red ... We were like two robots of the same mind, weaving through jumps and souring over each obstacle until we heard the same ring call out and we slowed to a halt.

There was complete silence.

Until the announcer broke the silence, "I dont believe this.. We have a record breaking round ladies and gentlemen! For the first time in ten years this rings record breaking 57.8 second record has been broken by Mystery duo Jean Wilder and Sunday roast by a whopping 1 second lead!"

Then applause erupted from the stadiums.

I smiled so wide and brought out my phone and decided to vlog with the applause in the background.

"GUYS!! I just won my first show!! I qualify for regionals!! Ahhh!!! I'm so syced right now, isnt that right Sunday?" I asked my horse showing him to my subscribers, he snorted happily and i laughed.

"Isn't this amazing?" I asked my audience and showed them the crowd.

I put my phone away and was ushered over to the other riders and was placed in the middle. The two from before were handing out the rosettes and when they got to me the man looked ecstatic and the lady still looked unimpressed.

"You got lucky." The lady said putting the first place rosette on Sundays bridle and handing me a medal.

"Do you have a sponsor?" The man asked intensely.

"Umm no?" i replied truthfully.

"Do you want one? My dad owns an estate i can tell him about you and-" i held up a hand and cut him off,

"Sorry, a hillbilly like me does not work with the likes of you." I smirked and trotted away to do my victory lap leaving him speechless.

I left the ring and an older rider passed me, "Hey, nice riding kid." She nodded at me and i beamed happily.

"Thank you!!" I said.

"You got moxie kid." A man said and i turned to see a guy on a horse similar to mine, he was only a little bit older than me.

"Wait where have i heard that before.." I pondered and gasped, "AirplaneGuy1973!?" I asked and the man grinned and did a mini bow while still on his horse.

"I'm a big fan." He said and shook my hand.

"No way! I've never met a fan before!" I said excitedly.

"I knew you were good with horses from your videos but not this good! The names Ash, by the way." He winked and i felt a sudden heat rising to my cheeks. Was i.. Feeling flustered? It was then that my mind went to Mark, I had completely forgot about him. What i felt next was a nauseating case of guilt.

He was probably waiting at the farm right now to give me a lift back, crap.

"Ah- I'm so sorry Ash it was nice to meet you but i just realised i have to be somewhere like right now! Bye!" I panicked and quickly turned Sunday and bolted back to the yard.

"I hope he isnt mad..." I grimaced, the familiar pit in my stomach forming again.