39 | this is the end

I blinked a few times as my eyes adjusted to the immensely radiant light

I blinked a few times as my eyes adjusted to the immensely radiant light. The sun was beaming down at me. A light breeze fanned my face.

I could feel the soft grass underneath me. As I laid there motionless, I could not help but wonder...Was I dead?

"Non ancora mio caro bambino (Not yet my dear child)," the sweet and familiar voice said.

I immediately shot up. I could not believe my eyes.

"M-Mom?" There was a knot at the back of my throat as I stared at my mother.

She stood in front of me just as beautiful as I remembered her.

Her hand extended toward me and I took it. It felt surreal being able to touch her after all these years. I threw my arms around her and let the tears pour.

"I've missed you so much mamma (mom)," I cried out. "All these years... I tried, I really did. I tried to be the good boy you always loved."

"I know my sweet boy, I know." She gently patted my head.

       "I am sorry I could not kill him like I promised. I'm sorry I turned out just like him," I apologized, but my mom was quick to pull away and shake her head.

       "You turned out amazing. You have made me so proud, Dante. I am sure that your wife would agree with me," she replied. "You're an amazing husband and soon-to-be father."

       "W-What?" I could not believe my ears.

       No, I probably heard wrong. Stephanie was not pregnant...was she?

       "She needs you, my sweet boy. She too is fighting to keep your child alive. So, you have to wake up and go to her." My mother replied, but I was confused by her words.

        What did she mean, fighting to keep my child alive?

       "But what about you?" I asked concerned that I would be leaving my mother alone.

       "I am happy knowing that you have found happiness," she replied. "Now go. That poor girl cannot afford to loose you, too. Ti amo, mio ​​dolce bambino (I love you, my sweet child)."

       "I love you too, mom." I pulled close for one last hug.

        "Bye," she whispered before disappearing in my hands. Everything started to follow her before I was left in absolute darkness.

       "Stephanie!" I gasped as I shot out of the dream.

       "Oh, thank God! I thought you were dead, sir!" Tomas was crouched beside me with his hands covered in blood.

       I tried to sit up but a sharp pain brought me back down. I noticed that my stomach was leaking blood.

       "You have to take it slow. The cut did not do much damage but it is deep," Tomas said as he put pressure on my wound. Again, the sharp pain cursed through my body but I did my best to stay strong.