06 | the root of affinity & aversion

"You really are making yourself at home, aren't you?" I mused as I stepped out to the large backyard

Kira laid nonchalantly on the cushioned wooden lounge chair. Her blonde locks were wrapped neatly in a bun at the top of her head and her blue eyes were covered by the large pair of glasses.

"I am assuming we will be staying here after our wedding. So, I rather get used to my new home," Kira replied as she nestled herself further into the chair.

My lips pressed together. "There will be no wedding."

       "It's not like we really have a choice," Kira replied.

       "I am not the man you want," I warned.

       Kira propped herself on her elbows. Her pale skin had turned a shade darker and was glistening under the sun. She moved her sunglasses down just enough so that her eyes could look at me from head to toe. Her red lips curved into a satisfied smirk.

       "You give yourself little credit handsome," she hummed before laying back down. She seductively slipped the strings of her bikini down to expose her slender shoulders. "I will see you tonight, sweetheart."

       My nose wrinkled in disgust. "I have matters to attend to tonight."

       "Don't tell me you're going to that ball being held at the Astoria mansion?"

       Ball? Astoria mansion? Why does that name sound so familiar?

       "What are you talking about?" I asked.

       Kira turned to face me. My reflection stared back at me through her black shades.

       "Mark Astoria, the King of Hollywood has some charity event going on tonight. He invited all the elite families in Hollywood," Kira explained. She frowned when I maintained a confused expression. "How is it that I have only been here for one day and I already know more than you?"

       "I am not into gossip and drama," I remarked. I looked down at my silver watched and noticed I was already late to work. "I have more pressing matters to attend to tonight than going to that ball. Do not wait up, sweetheart."

       I ignored Kira's annoyed frown and turned on my heel. As I made my way to the awaiting car, I could not help but keep thinking of the name she mentioned—Astoria.

       Astoria. Astoria? Astoria!

       I pulled out my phone and scrambled through the contacts. I stopped when I landed on Stephanie's name. Next to it was the last name 'Astoria'.

       "Could she be connected to this man?" I pondered.

        "Sir, are you ready?" Tomas' question pulled me out of my thoughts.