13 | good news, bad news, and something in between

I stared at the envelope in my hands

        I stared at the envelope in my hands. It had my name neatly written in the most elegant gold calligraphy. I hesitantly opened it to reveal a beige invitation card inside with gold letters.

       "You are cordially invited to the wedding between Aurora Montgomery and Kenneth Hathaway," I read out loud. I could not believe my ears.

I picked up my phone and dialed Aurora phone number again.

"Hello, you have reached Aurora Montgomery. I am not available at the moment but feel free to leave a voice message and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Bye!"

       Bee-e-e-e-p!

       "Aurora! What the hell is going on? Last time I checked you were obsessed with Quinn and now you're marrying his brother?! You always hated Kenneth's guts! Call me when you c-" my voice was cut off by the sudden beeping of the phone before the call ended.

I tossed my phone on the bed in frustration. I looked out the window and noticed that the sky had already darkened and the moonlight had replaced the sun. I turned my gaze to my golden watch. Dante should have already been here. I rubbed the side of my temples as I tried to ease the growing ache.

Was he alright? Had he been hurt? Was he alive?

The stressful thoughts caused the pain to grow. I picked up my phone and made my way out of the room. The halls were quiet as always. Only a few staff and guards walked down them. I made my way down the stairs as I typed away on my phone. As I reached the final step, I heard talking near the main lounge. My eyebrows knitted together and I quietly walked toward the entrance.

       "Let's try not to make so much noise. I do not want to wake them up," Dante said as he popped his whiskey bottle open.

I hid behind the wall and peeked my head inside. There was a woman sitting next to the fireplace with her back to me. Dante handed her the glass of whiskey and she took it. I could feel a burning feeling in my chest from the sight.

       "You know, you really are something Dante. I am not one to easily give in, but you've convinced me." Her voice was soft and held a foreign accent to it.

       "I am glad I did Jae," Dante smiled as he grabbed another glass and poured himself some whiskey too. He clinked his glass with the woman's glass. "I hate to admit it but Lorenzo has been a tough one. It does not help that we have some local gangs sneaking into our territory as well. It is a lot and I need all the help I can get."

"Never imagined a cop would work with a criminal," the woman joked.

"You know, spying is very bad etiquette."

I jumped back clutching my beating heart. I looked back and found Myung staring at me with an amused smile.

"I-I wasn't spying," I defended.