10 | hello brother

I tapped my fingers on the leather armrest

       I tapped my fingers on the leather armrest. There was a lot going on. It felt like I was caught up in a tornado of mishaps. It was just one problem after another. First, Lorenzo. Then my unapproved engagement to the most annoying and whiny woman on this planet. Now, my sister had arrived and I did not even know which one it was. It did not matter though, I knew what the reason was—to push me to accept the engagement.

        "You should relax your face. All those tensed expressions will leave you with wrinkles."

       I smiled at the woman sitting beside me. The only good thing that has happened me in these past couple of days. Stephanie smiled up at me, a teasing glint in her mint green eyes.

        "I have amazing genes, dolcezza (sweetie)," I replied with a cocky grin. "Wrinkles do not appear in my family until we are way past fifty."

       "If you say so," Stephanie hummed.

"Sir, we have arrived," the chauffeur announced as he pulled up into the mansion's driveway. Stephanie and I stepped out and walked toward the main entrance.

I interlocked our hands together and stroked the back of her hand gently. The nerves were eating me up as we made our way to the first-floor living room. I could hear chatter and some laughter.

"There's the man of the hour," Derek was the first one to spot me. He wore his usual wide grin. Little Leonardo was cradled in his arms.

       Myung stood next to him and I figured he had been the one keeping my guests company.

       "Ciao fratello (Hello brother)," Caterina turned around with her lips curved into a small smirk. Her blue eyes immediately flashed to my hands that were interlocked with Stephanie's. "I see the rumors are true."

       "I know why you are here Caterina, but I will not be bent to Alessandra's will. I am the head of this family, not her. I decide when I want to get married and to whom," I said in a serious tone.

       The room was silent for a few seconds before Caterina erupted into laughter. Her husband and Myung soon joined her. I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion.

       "Dante, you really think I would side with Alessandra on this?" Caterina snorted. "If I agreed with our sister I would have never told Samantha to warn you."

"But—"

"Fratello (brother), all I want is for you to be happy. If she gives you that then that's all I need to hear. We came here to help you," Caterina assured.

       "Thank you," I replied with relief. Caterina smiled up at me as she stood up and walked over to give me a hug.

       As we pulled away, Caterina turned to Stephanie. I could tell that my Angel looked a bit uncertain, almost scared. It was an affect we had on people. My sisters and I gave off intimidating auras. It was a skilled we needed to survive in the mafia world.