08 | for a heart to heal

Awkward silence surrounded everyone around the large rectangular table

Awkward silence surrounded everyone around the large rectangular table. I tried to ignore the tension and focus on the freshly Ricotta pancakes in front of me. The light clinking of the silverware was the only sound that filled the room.

"Am I just to ignore the presence of these two?"

And the silence was gone.

"'These two' have names," Samantha snapped. Kira rolled her eyes and turned to me hoping that I would say something to defend her.

"Dante, I am to be the future lady of this house. Can you not send them to a hotel or something?"Kira whined with a sad pout.

"More like crybaby of this house," Samantha mumbled.

"You are just jealous that Dante is going to be marrying me and not you," Kira sassed.

Samantha turned to me with a 'do I really have to' look. I nodded with a pleading look in my eyes. She sighed in defeat and turned back to Kira.

"I chose not to marry Dante, but if I wanted I could have him back in an instant," Samantha retorted. Despite her confident exterior, I knew she was trying her hardest not to cringe.

I really hoped that Samantha acting as my jealous ex-girlfriend would drive Kira away.

Stephanie who had been quiet this entire time finally perked up. She looked extremely confused. She turned her eyes to me as she opened her mouth, but I gently shook my head as a signal to not say anything.

       "I hate you! All of you!" Kira shrieked as she threw her polyester napkin on the table and stomped away.

"Dramatic much," Samantha grumbled as she rested her chin inside her palm. "How long will I have to keep acting so cringey?"

       "Just until she goes back to Russia," I assured.

        Samantha wrinkled her nose and gave me an annoyed pout. I knew that this was the last thing she would want to be doing, but I appreciated her staying around to help.

       Samantha glanced over at Stephanie and her eyes softened. "How are you feeling little red panda? Do you like the Villanueva manor?"

Stephanie pointed at herself and Samantha nodded with a warm smile.

"Umm, yes. It is quite a lovely estate. I am thankful that Mr—Dante let me stay here," Stephanie said. "I promise it will not be for long. Only until I can find my own place."

"You can stay here as long as you'd like," I assured.

"Wouldn't you like that?" Samantha teased and I frowned.

"Out," I growled pointing at the door.

"Okay grumpy pants," Samantha simply chuckled as she stood up. "Can I talk to you later in regards to your cousin?"