14 | ex's and oh's

"Harder!" Samantha yelled as she clapped her hands together to motivate me

I could feel the sweat dripping down my body as I tried to concentrate. I hit the punching bag with all my might but Samantha was still not satisfied. She blew the whistle and I stopped.

"I feel like I am punching hard enough," I said as I wiped off the the sweat with my arm. "How much harder can I go?"

"You need to build up some muscle. Dante told be your did martial arts but I just can't believe it," Samantha replied as she poked my thin arms. "You have to be ready to take down any type of person: big, small, heavy, skinny. You cannot be caught off guard."

       "I have fought men before," I reasoned.

       "Have you fought men trying to kill you?" Samantha raised a brow in a sassy manner. "I have... twice. It is not as easy as it seems. Now think of something that makes you so mad and take it all out on this right here."

She patted the large punching bag before walking back to the sidelines and blowing the whistle. I took in a deep breathe as I put my hands up. I did my best to follow her advice. I closed my eyes and thought of all the times my father yelled at me with no good reason. All the times I was belittled by his friends. And then my mind flashed to that night when I found the man I loved laying in our bed with another woman. I opened my eyes and began punching the bag as I pictured the faces of the people who hurt me the most on it.

"That-a girl," Samantha smiled proudly.

I swung one arm followed by the other. All rage poured out of me like an endless stream. Samantha blew the whistle after a few minutes and I stopped.

        "Shit," I let out a long breathe of air. I felt so liberated despite my aching arms.

       "You're doing good red panda," Samantha said as she handed me a clean towel. "However, this is just the beginning. Being tough physically is not enough to survive this gangster world. You also have to have a tough exterior. A cold mannerism that will have everyone fearing your name."

       "One small step at a time," Dante's sister said as she strutted into the room. She eyed me from head to toe. "She had a lot to learn and it cannot all be taught in the course of one day."

       Samantha nodded in agreement. "Take a break for now and we can return to training later."

       "Thank you once again Sam," I said with a thankful smile before I walked out of the room.

       I walked up the stairs and made my way to my room. I stopped when I noticed Dante's ajar bedroom door. I peeked inside and notice that it was empty. The bed was made neatly and it did not even seem like he arrived home. Samantha assured me that he was fine. She suggested I get used to him disappearing for bit because he had many issues to tend to.