Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Izuku was currently lying wide awake in his bed. He could feel Katsuki's hot air fanning his neck, as the blond had an arm draped over the greenette's torso. The day had been quite eventful, and even though he was tired, he couldn't bring himself to fall asleep. The clock on his bedside table read 3:36 in the morning, and his eyes felt dry and droopy.

Conversations from earlier in the day replayed in his mind as he recalled Recovery Girl's words.

"It is quite an unexpected side effect. I hope you are mentally prepared for what's to come. Now that we know what the antidote does, we never know when the rest of your dormant quirks will manifest. It is going to be a tough ride, Midoriya," Recovery Girl had told him.

His emotions felt like a whirlwind of uncertainty. The breathing on his neck reassured him only a little, but honestly? He felt like he was falling apart bit by bit.

He was scared to fall into the depths of darkness all over again. He could feel the inevitable claws of depression and anxiety digging into his skin, trying to drag him under. It made him restless, his mind fighting against the darkness that threatened to consume him once more. He was trying...he was really trying.

But it was all happening so fast. Everything felt so overwhelming that he feared that he would succumb to the tempting invitation of his aching thighs. They begged for him to create the cursed work of art that once soothed him. It was a tough battle inside his mind.

Izuku turned his head to gaze at the peacefully sleeping blond. He never expected Katsuki to be the type to cuddle, yet there he was. Katsuki had refused to leave his side, even more so when Recovery Girl had informed him that the greenette couldn't be left alone. It made Izuku's heart ache with affection and longing.

It still felt so surreal to have the blond right next to him, hugging him, nonetheless. It made him feel so, so loved, that it was beyond scary. Before, he feared that Katsuki would always hate him and that he would never return his feelings. Now, he feared that Katsuki would get tired of him and that he would never be enough. How could he ever be enough for him?

The questions rolled around in his head, beckoning him deeper and deeper into the darkness. The aching became unbearable, and his breathing quickened. He couldn't help but wonder if all Katsuki was doing was an act, and he felt terrible for thinking that way. But, his insecurities decided to resurface and fuck with him in the worse way possible.

A whimper escaped his mouth, and he quickly brought a hand to cover his mouth. Katsuki stirred beside him, and Izuku tensed. He didn't want the blond to know he wanted to cry so, so badly at the moment. He craved his warm touch and his gentle whispers that soothed any anxiety he felt. But he didn't want him to worry. So he bottled it all in.

Or at least he tried.

His lips trembled as tears ran down his cheeks, sniffling as quietly as he could. He gently tried to get out of Katsuki's grasp, but the slightest movement had the blond tightening his hold. The greenette's head fell back into his pillow, a hand covering his eyes as he begged the tears to stop falling.

He didn't want to wake Katsuki...but then he started tasting blood in his mouth.

Not again!

He tumbled to the floor, hastily getting out of Katsuki's grip. The blond woke with a start, grumbling under his breath as he rubbed his eyes tiredly. He reached for Izuku's body on the bed, but frown when he felt the empty space beside him. Groggily, he opened his eyes, trying to adjust to the darkness.

"Izu?" He called out, his voice hoarse from sleep. A thump was heard, and he sat up abruptly, alarmed. The blond wasted no time in reaching for the bedside lamp, flicking it on, and getting out of bed quickly. "Shit!"