Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The moment those words left Izuku's mouth, Katsuki felt a familiar pain in his chest. He stared at Izuku with worried eyes, watching as the boy buried his face in his hands and cried. His hands were still on the greenette's shoulders, feeling how he shook under his touch. Katsuki didn't know how to react or what to do. His heart was still beating erratically in anxiousness since he noticed his childhood friend having a nightmare the second he had walked inside the nurse's office.

Izuku simply kept crying, hands covering his mouth to silence out the sobs that threatened to come out. He was mad at himself for breaking so easily in front of Katsuki, knowing he would look at him with judgmental eyes. He didn't dare look at the blond, not wanting him to see just how useless he was at the moment. But he couldn't help it.

"Deku," Katsuki spoke, surprising Izuku with his gentle tone. His eyes snapped to look at the blond, eyes wide and teary. Katsuki had a frown etched on his face, brows furrowed in masked concern. He reluctantly pulled Izuku forward, wrapping his arms around his shoulders and resting his chin on top of his hair.

"K-Kacchan..." Izuku whispered, hands pressed against Katsuki's chest as he inhaled the sweet scent of caramel.

"It's not your fault," Katsuki whispered, making Izuku let out a strangled sob. The greenette wrapped his arms tightly around Katsuki's waist, burying his face on his shoulder as he cried. He knew that what Katsuki said was a lie. It was his fault; his mother had said so. His actions and his decisions drove his mother to suicide. He made her life miserable; she had said so!

"Since when...since when have you had nightmares?" Katsuki asked. It shattered his heart watching Izuku like that. He knew that the boy still grieved from time to time, but he didn't know that he had nightmares about that incident.

"This is the first time," Izuku lied in a whisper. Katsuki only nodded and slowly let go of the greenette. Izuku wouldn't meet his eyes, his fingers wiping away the tears that had stuck to his cheeks. "I-I'm sorry..."

"Whatever," Katsuki muttered, straightening his blazer. "If you tell anyone that I hugged you, I will kill you."

At his words, Izuku let out a forced, faint chuckle as he glanced up at him. The blond's eyes turned back to their usual emotionless glare, making Izuku's heart ache. Whatever small hope he had about Katsuki caring for him had gone down the drain. Of course he doesn't care about me. He never did.

"What are you doing here?" Izuku asked quietly, looking away from Katsuki yet again.

"The stupid teacher had me take notes for you since I was late," Katsuki explained with a scowl. Izuku gave him a small nod, frowning as he realized it was his fault. Why couldn't he do anything right?

"I'm sorry you were late. I'll make it up to you somehow." Izuku muttered, scratching the back of his neck anxiously.

"Tch, stop apologizing already. It's annoying," Katsuki rolled his eyes. "I was the one who decided to drag you down here, so it was my own fault for being late."

Izuku was about to apologize again but decided against it as he noticed Katsuki's annoyed glare. Despite being harsh to the greenette, Katsuki wanted to help him. His emotions had slipped when he saw how broken Izuku looked, making him push his pride to the side even if it was for a mere minute or two. Katsuki couldn't help but feel that Izuku had been lying to him, but no matter how much he observed the boy, nothing seemed to be wrong.

Or was Katsuki just blind to the truth?

"Here," the blond reached inside his bag and pulled out the notes, throwing them on top of Izuku's lap. "Don't lose them or I'll kill you."