Punching Asshats And Chasing Butterflies

Enid didn't know why every time Aloria looked over at her and Ajax, she glared. Meanwhile, Aloria didn't know why Enid chose to be next to him rather than her. It annoyed her to no end.

"Ooh. That gives me the heebie-jeebies," Enid cringed as she and Ajax looked at a squirrel and rat wedding.

"I don't know," he drawled. "You think squirrels and rats could ever work out? I mean, they're two totally different species."

Aloria rolled her eyes and turned away as Enid looked at her. Two different species. Like a werewolf and siren. "Yeah, I mean totally. Why not?" She kept her eyes on Aloria. "They have more in common than you think. Most people are scared of them, so it would just be us—" her eyes widened and she looked away from the siren and back at the roadkill— "them . . . against the world."

Aloria looked back at Enid. She knew the werewolf had been talking about her and Ajax. Why couldn't it have been her instead? She shook her head and went back to work.

Ajax turned to her for the first time in their conversation, he never saw the way she looked at Aloria. "Wow." He chuckled. "That was . . . deep. You know, by the way, I totally dug the way you scratched out the bottom of our boat at Poe Cup. It was pretty badass."

Aloria's head perked up. Enid did what? She nodded. Respect. But then she shook her head, remembering she's still upset with her. But then she scolded herself for even being upset. She had no rights to Enid. They weren't dating. They were just friends and she could talk to and like whoever she wanted. Even if it did hurt her and make her mad. Even if the boy was a moronic asshole.

Enid smiled. "Thanks. You're not mad you lost?"

Ajax shrugged. "I was just doing a solid for Xavier. I mean, he's my boy, but he's super competitive."

"Seems so laid back."

He nodded. "Bro's got a darker side most people don't see. I think it's because his dad is . . . well, ya know, famous." He shook his head. "All that pressure."

"You realize this is, like, the longest conversation we've ever had?"

"Gorgons are taught not to engage."

Then disengage from Enid before I engage your face with my fist, Aloria thought as she brushed some dead fur a little more aggressively than she needed to.

"Ya know, I don't want to accidentally stone someone."

Enid touched his arm. "I'm not afraid of being stoned by you. It's just temporary."

"Really? You mean that?"

"One hundo." Aloria walked past them and gagged making Enid glare at her. What was Aloria's problem? She focused back on Ajax. "So, um, I was thinking of sneaking behind the greenhouse tonight. Supposed to be a blue moon. Only happens once every 23 years or something crazy," her voice strained at the end. She didn't want to watch the moon with Ajax. She wanted to watch it with Aloria. Better than a friend than nothing at all. "Should get a killer view from there."

Ajax nodded. "Cool. Hey, have fun. By the way, you know that's where a lot of kids go to hook up, right? I mean, it could get awkward."

"Ajax!" Enid yelled frustrated. "I just spent all morning flirting and hinting and trying to act cute while brushing some roadkill just so you would ask me on a freaking date!" She was annoyed. She was only doing this to get over Aloria and he couldn't even pick up on her hints.

"Oh," Ajax chuckled. "That's what you were doing. I kind of wondered when you spent so long brushing that opossum's tail."

Enid chuckled nervously. This was so awkward and she hated it. All because she couldn't be with Aloria.