Fencing Isn't Supposed To Involve Flashbacks

Aloria was walking around the school, keeping to herself. She was dressed in the boy's uniform which she was thankful for. Apparently Weems put in the request for her. It was a normal day of classes, but she had to admit they were more interesting than normie classes at her old school. The only thing that sucked was all the stares. Thanks to Enid's post everyone knew all her dirty laundry. The trauma she witnessed. She wished they would stop looking at her like that, like she was made of glass. Man, Enid really has to make this up to her.

She decided to go to the front of the school in hopes of escaping the stares since she didn't have a class at the moment. Sitting on the grass with her arms rested on her knees, she felt at peace. She took a deep breath and sighed as a butterfly with orange wings landed on a blade of grass ten feet in front of her. It made her smile sadly. Butterflies were her mom's favorite.

"Aloria Yaldon, right?"

Aloria looked to the left and saw a girl with beautiful dark skin, a shaved head, and striking pale blue eyes standing next to her. She nodded in confirmation.

"Mind if I sit?" She shook her head and the girl sat down beside her while she went back to looking at the butterfly. "Name's Bianca. Word around is you're a siren. You should hang with your people, not sit here all alone." Aloria raised an eyebrow at her. "Yes, I'm a siren. So are those two over there." She pointed to the left where a boy and girl who looked like they were related were talking. "So come on, hang out with us."

Aloria looked back at the butterfly. Oh, how she would love to. She tapped her lips twice, trying to remind Bianca that she can't talk, so what would be the point?

"So? There are other ways to communicate." She pulled out a pen and paper.

Aloria smiled sadly. Touched by the effort but knowing it was pointless. She had tried that before. She shook her head.

"Just don't want to then?" Bianca pursed her lips.

She shook her head rapidly as she waved her arms. Damn it, now Bianca will think she's rejecting her friendship when really the curse doesn't let any form of word communication. But how could she tell her that? Maybe she could show her. She grabbed the pen and paper and went to write, but just like the first time she tried this her hand completely cramped up, shaking. She couldn't move it and she grimaced at the pain it caused. It was like a muscle cramp mixed with when a limb falls asleep. Bianca leaned back, face contorted in shock and concern. After a minute of the pain, her hand snapped open letting the pen roll away. She cradled her hand to her chest and began softly massaging it.

"It's not a choice, is it?" Bianca asked after a moment of silence. "Not talking?"

Aloria shook her head, keeping her gaze on the butterfly, finding it calming. Wow, two people in twenty four hours figured out what cops and therapists couldn't in weeks. Maybe this school wouldn't be so bad after all.

"Well, all the more reason for you to join us." Aloria looked at her confused. "As fellow sirens, maybe we can help you out. Get your voice back."

Now that sounded tempting. She looked at the butterfly once more. Getting her voice back would be amazing. She would just need to tell them what she already knows about why she lost it. Easier said than done. But a challenge she was willing to take on. She just couldn't believe that someone she quite literally just met was offering to help her. She turned back to Bianca and nodded gratefully.

The fellow siren smiled. "Great." She stood up and held her hand out to help Aloria. "Let's go." Aloria grabbed it and Bianca helped her to her feet before dragging her over to the boy and girl. "Okay, this is Kent and Divina, and yes, they're twins. Guys, this is Aloria." Aloria smiled at them and gave a little wave in greeting.