2: Woe Is The Loneliest Number

Wednesday dealt with Principal Weems and the sheriff, Aloria stayed in her dorm curled up on her bed with all her plushies. She couldn't believe this was happening again. How many murders does she have to witness? One was already too many and now this. She didn't know Rowan, couldn't really say she liked him after he tried to kill Wednesday, but no one deserved what happened to him. It was terrible. Absolutely awful. And she couldn't even remember anything after it happened. She recalled going into a flashback, but then she saw orange butterfly wings with vague eye designs on it and the next she knew she was waking up in the infirmary at Nevermore. Wednesday told her she passed out.

It didn't help that this was all the school could talk about. She hasn't left her room, not wanting to hear what people are going to say now. They already make fun of her. She was sure this was going to make it worse. She just wanted everything to stop. Even Enid's constant worry was becoming kind of annoying. Though to be fair, she's skipped classes, meals, and been in bed since it happened, just staring out the window. Enid had a right to be worried about her, but she still wanted her to stop.

Then Enid told her the news that apparently Rowan was alive and well, people had saw him. But Aloria didn't move. She knew that couldn't be true. And even if they did see him, that it was probably an imposter. Her father could use magic, she wouldn't be surprised if someone knew how to change appearances. Potions existed, shapeshifters existed, there were ways. And Aloria knew she wasn't crazy. The giant bruise on her back was proof enough of what happened that night.

But she just wanted to forget it all. She just wanted peace and quiet, so she tried to sleep. Only to find that every time she closed her eyes she either saw Rowan getting mauled or her mother getting shot. So she stayed awake. All night.

—————

The next day Aloria and Wednesday had therapy. Aloria went first and Wednesday didn't join her to translate this time. She spent the session sitting there with a blank expression as she stared at the floor. Dr. Kinbott would ask yes or no questions, but Aloria didn't bother to nod or shake her head since she wasn't really listening anyway. She sat completely still the whole time. She was tired, that was part of it, not sleeping all night usually did that. But also because she couldn't get the images out of her head. Exhaustion plus trauma, it was too much that she had basically shut down.

After her session she waited in the lobby while Wednesday did hers. She hadn't even reacted when she came back down. Wednesday stared at Aloria worried. Obviously the siren was always quiet, but this was different. She was like a zombie. Wednesday walked over to her, grabbed her hand, and led her away. Aloria still didn't react and just let it happen.

She ran into Tyler who tried to start up a conversation, but she blew him off and kept walking with Aloria. She didn't have time to deal with him. Not when Aloria was struggling like this. Back at the school, the siren went straight to their dorm while Wednesday went to find Enid. Maybe the werewolf knew how to help Aloria. She hoped so, otherwise she would be forced to ask Bianca. And she really didn't want to do that.

Meanwhile, Aloria went back to lying down, clutching her plushies and staring out the window. While staring she watched that orange butterfly land on the railing of the balcony. She furrowed her brows as she got up and opened the window, stepping out. What was the deal with this butterfly? It had pulled her out of two flashbacks now and almost seemed to be following her. It clearly wasn't a normal butterfly, but then what was it? She approached slowly like it might fly away if she startled it. Something within her told her that wouldn't happen though. Once in front of it, it flew up to her face and landed on the tip of her nose. She stared at its wings as it crawled up her nose. And maybe Aloria was going crazy, because when it touched her forehead she swore it felt like the butterfly was giving her a kiss on the head to console her. But then it flew away, disappearing into the horizon.