FORTY - EPILOGUE

KADEN
six years later

The tear stricken face of my daughter was something that always managed to strike a blade right through my heart

She is and always will be precious to me, my firstborn, my heir. Some would call it spoiling in the kind of treatment I gave her, but I couldn't see it the way they did. For her, I wanted to make the whole world a better place, so that I could ensure she wouldn't ever have to face any heartache or traumatic events.

But I knew it to be close to impossible, and it was a war I couldn't win in my lifetime.

Even with my Alpha genes dominating, a big part of her was also her mother. Having a siren's genetics include a lot of different aspects in life, abilities a werewolf wouldn't typically be able to give you.

Such as the inhuman urge to kill.

While Serenity had learned to control it a long time ago, Cordelia was starting on a entirely blank page, and it was our fight as her parents to teach her the right ways of life, to show her what morals truly meant. Serenity had it a lot easier in that department than I did, considering she already had that certain mindset that was required.

With her gone, I was left without her assistance or judgement when it came to our kids.

I had allowed them to play outside in the garden while I made breakfast, which was something Leo and I grew up doing. Sometimes we were even allowed out into the middle of the woods. Therefor I figured having them play only a few meters away from where I was standing, wouldn't be a problem.

But goddess was I wrong.

"I didn't want to! Promise!-" she cried, her left cheek being smudged in blood and so her hands, "She-She was so cute and pretty! I couldn't help it!"

Taking a deep breath, I bent down to my knees before my sobbing daughter and checked over the severely injured bunny laying in her hands. The poor little thing wasn't breathing, and even if it had been I was unsure wether it would have survived or not.

"I'm sorry sweetheart-" I look up into the meadow green eyes of my daughter, "But it is too late to save her"

"Murderer!" Kano shouts in horror

I quickly snap my head into my son's direction— "Kano!"

Seeing my daughter hiss back at him as a threat, trying to scare him off, I could not help but chuckle at them both. While they inherited a lot of my genes, there still was a pair of traits they had inherited from their lovely mother, and even if it was just a few, the ones they had were significant enough to stand out from all the others.

"At least I never killed a butterfly!" she fires right back

Seeing as butterflies are a sacred kind of bug to Kano and Kano only, she knows exactly how to push his buttons. Going into attack mode immediately, Kano's little hands tries to push Cordelia down to the ground but only manage to make her lose her balance a little.