THIRTY-EIGHT

KADEN
unedited

The soft playing of music in the background, along with the sound of laughter and chattering almost brought some kind of bittersweet feeling inside the depth of my heart

The soft playing of music in the background, along with the sound of laughter and chattering almost brought some kind of bittersweet feeling inside the depth of my heart. The sparkly lights hanging down from the tent's ceiling, followed by some white drapes and tree branches holding everything up.

It was all very beautiful, not one person could deny that Julie and Luca had brought the idea of a fairyland to life with this venue.

Julie was dressed in white, almost leaning towards the color beige if you asked me, which I couldn't tell Julie herself because she would counter that the dress was "bone-white", whatever that meant. Her dress flowing behind her in soft waves while her arms were free from any kind of fabric.

It was a rather simple dress, but she couldn't wear much else being around 7 months pregnant either.

Straying far from werewolf traditions, Julie and Luca had decided to get married. It was more Luca's idea than Julie's, but she agreed to it because of how thrilled the idea made Luca. And I suppose getting married wasn't such a big deal when you have already been through every stage you can reach in a relationship. Besides, they were already supposed to spend forever together being each other's mates.

Sharing their very first dance with each other as now husband and wife, I glanced over at the seat beside me where Serenity sat and watched the newly weds just as everyone else.

For the last two months that had passed since we were reunited we had been dedicated to healing from our trauma, and at some point we had mutually agreed that we were going to focus on recovering from everything before we focused on healing our relationship.

It was hard putting myself first when every bone inside my body commanded me to comfort her whenever I could feel her aching heart, or to hold her through every night that those nightmares haunted her. But she needed to heal in the way that she sought fit, and she made it clear that if she did need me, she would come to me.

The only problem was that I needed her. While she preferred solitude to heal from her wounds, I wanted someone I could lean on to when it became unbearable. Someone that could help me unload it all so that I didn't go completely off the rails again.

But two months later, I could finally say that we were nearing our goal. At least, I could see the finish line ahead of us.

It was however times like these that I couldn't help but fantasize about a life together with Serenity, a life that looked a little different than it did now. Imaging Serenity to be in the exact position Julie was in now, dancing with her mate on their wedding day, being almost heavily pregnant with our lost baby.

Oh, what a sweet dream that would have been to live. I thought quietly to myself.

Seeing the first other couple arrive to the dance floor, joining Julie and Luca in their slow dance, I began to feel the itch in the tips of my fingers. I pulled on the fabric of my black dressing pants, almost beginning to feel my palms sweating. I wanted to ask her to dance with me, but the fear of being rejected made me question it all.