THIRTY-SIX

KADEN

"Why did it take so long for you to come and see me?" she asked me, sadness and confusion coating her every feature

I didn't want to look at her face, believe it or not. I just couldn't face her, not after everything that had happened because of my foolish mistakes. She was in this hospital bed, her eyes hanging heavy with tiredness, her upper lip cut and her entire face battered with what was the remains of dark blue bruises, and I couldn't help but feel like I was the cause of every trauma forced upon her.

"I couldn't find you" my broken voice finally uttered as I leaned my elbows onto my knees

"No, no I mean why didn't you come here and see me sooner?"

I glanced up at her, briefly connecting my eyes with her deep blue ones, and felt the lump in my throat grow bigger.

"I-I didn't know what to say to you-" I slowly revealed, "I still don't know what to say..."

As the silence caught up with us, I worried I had been seen as pathetic in her eyes. All this time, I had dreamt and wished for the day where I would find her, again, but I had never truly thought of what I would actually say to her when I did. Would I act upon my instincts as her mate and simply hold her? Or would I break down completely at the sight of her?

It seemed I was reaching towards the latter.

"I feel... I feel like I don't really know you anymore" she hesitantly spoke, yet it wasn't formed as an accusation, rather a revelation of her inner thoughts

The strings on my heart tugged at her words, suspecting my worst fears to come true right before my eyes. It had gone some time, I knew that as well as her, yet I had foolishly clung onto the hope of everything remaining as it always had been when we were to be reunited.

Of course it wouldn't, and only a fool would think otherwise.

"Almost as if... a stranger is sitting in front of me, a stranger I only recognize by name" she slowly carried on

Without even realizing it, my eyes had stuck to hers during this entire time, not breaking the eye connection even once. I stared at her with my eyes laced with fear. By pure instinct, my hand reached out for her, not even hesitating as it touched the tips of her fingers. The bolts of electricity traveled through my skin and up to my heart where it caught on speed, and quickly made me aware of my sudden action, and I retrieved my hand just as quickly.

"I suppose... you're not entirely out of line for feeling that way" I sighed, almost agreeing with her considering I didn't even know how to touch her anymore, "I thought that the second we would be reunited, everything would just fall right back into place and... everything would be as it was just before everything went so wrong between us..."

As I looked down onto her neck, I was somewhat surprised by the sight of my mark still being on clear display for the whole world to see. I had almost forgotten the whole thing, the one bite that would forever keep us connected.