THIRTY-NINE

KADEN
one year later

  The loud roars of pain echoed all the way down to the cafeteria, making a lot of nurses and doctors turn their heads in the direction of the screams

  The loud roars of pain echoed all the way down to the cafeteria, making a lot of nurses and doctors turn their heads in the direction of the screams. They did a very poor job of disguising their unease at the sounds of my mate in pain, so much that I could even hear some of them whisper to themselves.

Because my emotions were scattered all over the place at the moment, I couldn't even find the right emotion in me to use in my mate's defense. Realizing another contraction was pulling at her uterus, I snapped at the nurse who took far too long to make a toast filled with several slices of ham and strangely; a click or two of ketchup.

Although it wasn't my place to question anything she asked of me, that I learned 42 weeks ago.

"Give me the goddamn toast already!" I growled at her, making her flinch into action

She handed me the toast wrapped in a thin napkin, not even wasting any time fetching a paper plate. Without giving her as much as a simple 'thanks', I more or less sprinted down the white corridor towards the room I had left my mate in.

The minute I pushed open the door, the already poor insulation in the room was gone and nothing protected the jarring groans of pain coming from my strong mate. She was walking around the square room, dressed in the famous hospital dress known to all mankind, all while clutching the metal bar that held a bag of liquid that transported into her arm.

Once she caught sight of me, I was expecting her face to turn into a look of fury, but instead relief washed over her entire being. Exhaling loudly, she began to walk over to me without ever letting go of the metal bar on four wheels.

"You're here" she cried out

Feeling my heart start to leak at the state she was in, I opened my arms for her to walk right into. Being mindful of all the machines and the equipment currently being stuck to her, and her enlarged belly of course, I hugged her close to my chest.

"I'm so sorry, my love-" I gently kissed the crown of her head, "Funnily enough, the nurses are qualified to assist surgeries and tend to wounds, but can't figure out how to make a toast with extra ham on it even if their lives depended on it"

A light laugh bubbled out from her chest as she pulled away from our hug, only to use her wrists to dry up the few tears that had managed to escape from her oceanic eyes that was brimming with them.

"You still got it, right?"

The sad, almost hopeless look in her eyes made me feel a little better about taking so long in the cafeteria. I let go of her fragile form to show her the toasty warm sandwich in my hand, and in return, I watched as her eyes lit up with joy.

"I think I might just love you again" she hungrily grabbed the toast from my hand and didn't waste one more second without the sandwich engrossing her tastebuds