TWENTY-ONE

KADEN
day twenty-six

It was no secret to tell that werewolves were possessive

It was no secret to tell that werewolves were possessive. It could center around an object, a place, or even a person. If someone would stain or so much as touch something that a werewolf considered to be rightfully theirs, then you would have to expect the wolf to grow possessive of it in return.

It was more than natural, it was instinct. Especially, when it revolved around their mate.

Something that wasn't as known, was the reason behind all of this possessiveness. You could blame it on the genes or just say it was within their nature, or you could trace it back to the fact that the Moon Goddess only blessed you with one single mate to have for as long as you live.

If that mate dies, then you don't get another chance. There are no second chances according to the Moon Goddess.

That might be the reason for a werewolf's possessiveness, since you can't afford losing your one mate.

And through all of that, the Moon Goddess decided to give us one more blessing, and that was to intensify everything that came with being born an Alpha. They were born a bigger size, born more dominant, stronger... and finally; more possessive.

Sometimes I thought of it as a curse, but when I met my own mate, I realized it truly was a blessing. She looked like perfection, which made her such a treat for the eye to look at, and that I realized before I even knew she was partly a Siren.

Her having Siren blood in her only complicated things further, and I got a real taste of that when the Lunar pack payed us a little visit.

Therefor, my level of possessiveness did finally come in handy. It was what lead me to make a rather hasty decision, a decision I originally planned to make further into our future.

I had to mark Serenity.

If she carried my mark, it would make it possible for me to sentence whichever bastard whom tried to come close to Serenity, to whatever punishment I, or Serenity, felt suited.

And to mention; a marked mate is off limits, and most werewolves knew and respected that.

Now, I still didn't know if there was a possibility of hurting Serenity with my mark, and I refused to risk her health by being ignorant. But I seriously doubted that I would find that answer in one of the books in our library, considering Sirens even having a mate is one of nature's rarest.

That was why, I had woken up early that day. I began the day by taking a cold shower, which had become a habit of mine ever since I met Serenity. It wasn't that hard to figure out why, considering my mate liked to sleep naked, and there were often times where she would sleep without a blanket covering her body.

Afterwards, I walked down to the kitchen where I would start cooking our breakfast. Since mine and Serenity's diet were very different, it always took me a little longer to make it.