ONE

KADEN
day one

 The sun was shining brightly in my eyes as I stepped outside for the first time that day

The sun was shining brightly in my eyes as I stepped outside for the first time that day. It was a warm Thursday morning where I had woken up early to my buzzing alarm, wanting to start off the day with work as every other day.

Summer was finally here. Werewolves running around the woods hunting or pups learning how to shift and hunt with their parents, precisely what they did every other year. During my walk over to the Pack House where I spent most of my days inside my office, I passed three pups playing with each other as they wrestled and jumped at each other.

As I passed them, they halted and stared at me in apprehension. It was only natural they were intimidated by their big Alpha, but making innocent little pups fear me was not on my agenda today, so I gave them a friendly smile as I kept walking.

Each time I saw a pup, or a child in general, I felt a slight tug on one of my heart strings. I wanted nothing more in life than to create a family of my own, with my mate that I had yet to find.

By simply the mention of my unknown mate, my wolf purred inside of me by the thought of her. To go twenty-six years without your second half, was nothing but excruciating pain.

And it was slowly killing me to have to wait this long for her.

You were supposed, as a mature werewolf, to find your mate after you have turned eighteen, but there I was soon turning twenty-seven and my heart still ached to find my mate. There were times where I doubted the moon goddess had even granted me the pleasure of having a mate since it had already taken eight torturous years for her to come to me.

Not a single Mating Ball or ceremony could bring me my mate it had seemed like, which was why I had started throwing the invitations right into the trash can each year it arrived a few years back.

The mansion we called our pack house, had kept our pack safe for centuries. It provided a safe haven for a lot of families and it would continue that way until I would hopefully pass my heritage down to my own son, or daughter.

Hell, I would just relish in having the power to break the long line of male Alphas by assigning my future daughter to take care of my pack one day.

I bet my grumpy, old grandpa would roll around in his grave by knowing I had allowed a female to rule our lands. And that alone just might have become the source of my motivation.

People were walking around outside, hanging out in the large garden, or simply tending to the house. When I walked up the stairs to the double doors, people either waved at me or bowed their head in greeting, while I gave each of them a nod in acknowledgment.

I made sure to keep a friendly and professional relationship to everyone in my pack. It was impossible for me to create a bond with every single one that was a part of my pack, since the number of members was growing by each year that passed.