TWENTY-THREE

third person's pov
day twenty-eight

  Kaden remembered when he was 6 years old and his parents had taken him and his brother out for a picnic

Kaden remembered when he was 6 years old and his parents had taken him and his brother out for a picnic. His parents had decided to take the day to spend it together, with their two sons, no matter how troubled their relationship had been the last months. They decided to try their very best to mend it back together, for their family's sake.

However, they had barely digested the food they brought with them before his mother had chosen to start a quarrel over the fact that his father had forgotten to pack their second sons diapers.

When they weren't paying enough attention to the boys, Kaden and Leo decided to go and check how far down the water was from the cliff, in an attempt to escape their parents loud voices. Out of curiosity, Kaden wanted to be brave for his brother and be the one to look over the edge.

What he didn't realize was that the ground he was depending on, was mere dirt and it could only handle so much weight, until it would sentence you to a dangerous fall.

But that wasn't what Kaden recalled when he thought back to that one memory, he didn't recall the ice cold water or the fainting on the way down, and he definitely didn't recall his father rescuing him. The only thing he associated with that one memory, was the visible heartbreak on his mother's face when he woke up in a hospital bed a couple of hours later.

As little as he was, he thought she was being dramatic, and he might even have called her silly. He couldn't understand what all the fuss was about, when the only consequences of his fall was a minor cold, which only lasted for a day with his healing powers.

But now he suddenly understood exactly what his mother had been going through those two days, for twenty years later, he had to endure the crucial pain of seeing his mate barely being able to lift a finger.

He had done everything he thought was right. He had run down to the pack house with her shaking body in his arms, calling for the only doctor he trusted with his mate, he had sat with her in freezing cold water just to try and get her burning temperature down, he had even sent a silent prayer to whatever god above that would listen to him.

Whenever she was too cold, he would crawl into her bed and hold her until his own body heat had been transferred over to her body, even if touching her burnt him. Being a werewolf meant that you were never truly cold, since your body heat protected you from it, so it was only fair that he would endure the pain of his skin burning to share his warmth with her, when his mark had been the cause of her own pain.

The doctor couldn't seem to find anything wrong with her, any less understand why her body was acting this way. The mark wasn't infected, and her blood status had come out normal, so he just couldn't comprehend what was wrong with her. He had tried every examination he had ever learned while being at medical school, and nothing worked.