EIGHT

KADEN
day three

 Since I didn't want anything more to do with those books, I turned my back on the library and instead walked straight to my office since I was already in the pack house and I felt restless by not having any work done these last three days

I was an Alpha, and not even my mate could make me neglect that. Do not get me wrong, I am beyond grateful that I finally have Serenity in my life, but I have a pack to take care of as well.

To pass time, I did my paperwork that had been refilled multiple times the last three days, and unfortunately; I lost track of time.

It was only when Julie's voice interrupted my thoughts and concentration by talking very fast and loud, that I realized I had stayed in my office a little too long. She was definitely frustrated, or some might even say in panic.

Since she had been with Serenity all day, I was immediately alert. I looked towards the windows, and realized it the sun was about to go down.

I felt my heart sink down to my stomach as I remembered my promise to Serenity. I was late, so very late.

I was used to spend hours and hours in here on end, day in and day out, while doing nothing but work. I wasn't used to have someone waiting for me once I got home, so naturally the thought didn't even occur to me once I was too deep in my work.

I quickly put the papers and forms away and stormed out of the pack house, I took my car and sped towards mine and Serenity's house.

All the way there, I thought of ways to explain myself to Serenity and try and make her forgive me for my blunt mistake.

Normally, I wouldn't care one bit about something so small like this. I would close to always be late for meetings with my family or few friends, because I didn't care, but this was my mate, and I had made her a promise, which I broke.

And not to mention; I could never really expect something from Serenity, she would always do something that would take me by surprise. So she could either be completely unbothered by all of this, or she would either be furious with me.

She didn't seem like the type to be sad and cry about stuff, but then again; she's never really had a reason to until possibly now.

As I got home, it looked composed from the outside, but as soon as I got inside, Julie rushed down the stairs and looked completely frantic.

"I-I don't know what to do, Alpha-" she rushed out as she made grand gestures with her hands— "She won't let me come anywhere near her"

I clenched my jaws— "What's going on, Julie?"

She took a deep breath and clearly tried to calm down, then she reopened her
mouth— "We came back from shopping, which went just fine by the way, although she did hiss at a few people that came a little too close to her, and she didn't speak one word to me the whole time, only nodded her head or-"