CHAPTER 77: TOM'S BROKEN HEART

Tom's team went undefeated and were league champions, and Tom was league MVP.  After the final game in the league, Tom was doing all the interviews, then the league trophy was given to the team on the field.  I waited for him after the game.  Tara was back cheering.  She and the cheerleaders glared at me.  I tried ignoring them.  Emma and I stood by the tunnel, the cheerleaders were standing next to us.  Tom came out of the locker room.  He saw me, started to walk to us.  Tara said, "Tommy" He stopped. She went up to him. She said, "I just wanted to tell you, you played great, I'm so proud of you."  He said, "Thank you Tara. I appreciate that."  She said, "Can I have a hug" Tom looked at me.  I nodded.  Tom said, "Sure if my girlfriend doesn't mind" I said, "it's fine" He hugged her.  He came over to me.  I said, "Hey babe. I'm so proud of you" He said, "Thank you Maddie."  He hugged me and kissed me.

I was so happy each day seemed to be I was living a dream. But I also couldn't help but think each day that passes is a day closer to our breakup.

Tom's team had two playoff games. HIs practices were longer, and more intense. They had a bonfire and pep rally for the team each Wednesday as the games were on Thursday night. They had a school assembly.

Both games were at home.  Then they won those and made it to State.   The team had done great all season. The final game didn't start off good.  Tom was hit when he threw the ball, and threw an interception, and then running back fumbled, and then another turnover came when the punt returner fumbled the punt.  The defense could not stop the other team.  It was 21 to 0 at halftime. The second half Tom's team fought, and actually tied up the game, and sent it to overtime. But in overtime, they lost, due to a turnover, the running back got hit hard on what would have been a touchdown but fumbled. Tom was getting hit so hard.  Making me almost not be able to look.

Molly, Mia, and I were in tears. Tom and the rest of the guys sat on the bench after shaking hands. Tom felt like he let everyone down. All the guys had their heads down when they went off the field onto the track.  All the parents were standing there, some of the girlfriends.  Tara and the cheerleaders were standing on the track, when they ran into the quarterback from the other team.  I don't know how, but Tara knew him and said "hey Ryan you played such a great game. Congrats even if you did beat us" He said, "Thank you" She hugged him.  I said, "What a bitch Emma." Tom was coming with Mike and Brad behind Ryan. So, they saw.  Molly and Mia wanted to wait with me, but Tom's dad told Margaret to go ahead and take them to the car.  They tried saying they wanted to stay but she took them.

Tom had tears in his eyes from losing.  I went to him. I said, 'Tommy I'm so sorry. You played so great."  I hugged him. He didn't put his arms around me like he usually does. He said, "I got to go."  Tom's dad was standing there.  Tom said, "Rain go on with mom and dad don't wait." He went and ran into the locker room.

I looked at Tom's dad. I said, "did I do something wrong" Tom's dad said, "no he's just hurting."  I said, "I'm sorry, I don't want to leave yet. are you guys needing to leave right now. I know we have a long drive."  He said, "no it's fine. I think it'd be good if you wait for Tommy. I'm going to go on to the car, you and Emma be ok" I said, "yes"

Mike said, "Hanson, I know how bad you are hurting, but don't shut Maddie out ok" He said, "I let her down" Mike said, "No you didn't."  Tom said," yeah, I did, we lost. I let you all down, my parents, my teammates, Maddie" The guys said he didn't let them down. That they play as a team. They win as a team lose as a team. Tom apologized to all of them. They told him it wasn't his fault. The running back had two fumbles and he apologized said he let everyone down.

Mike said, 'Tom when we get on the bus, you need to call Madison. She looked hurt."  He said, "I can't face her right now." Mike said, "you need to call her. Don't be stupid."