CHAPTER 24: THE RACE

The girls at the clinic decided to just have pizza brought in.  After I ate, while I was still on break, I went and sat on the bench outside.  I called Emma to see if she could talk.  She said she was coming home should be home in next couple days.  I said I was glad, I missed her, but was glad her grandma was better.  

She said, "she can't wait to get home, to go on that double date with Mike" I laughed.  I said, 'I bet you can't wait."  She said, 'I still can't believe that this is happening, that I will get to go out on a date with Mike. I mean a double date, but still. And it's all thanks to you."  I said, 'Emma, I need your help. Please tell me how I can stop myself from falling any harder for Tom."  She said, 'Why would you want to stop" I said, 'Emma, I'm falling more in love with him each day.  I mean the man has serious powers over me."  She laughed.  I said, "it's not funny. He gets me to talk, and I mean I can't stop blushing. Even over the phone he made me blush."  She laughed. I said, "he's so hot, and being so sweet, protective, he said he would teach me to drive, and he even suggested we read my favorite book together tonight."  She said, "oh wow. That is so sweet" I said, 'he says that since we are going to fake date, we need to get to know each other."  She said, "makes sense."  I said, 'But I mean in a few weeks when this fake dating is over, I am going to miss him so much."  She said, "Madison didn't he tell you he wants to be friends regardless" I said, "yes."  She said, 'And didn't he say that you can stay at his house, since he got you kicked out of your moms" I said, 'Yes" She said, "Then why are you thinking it will end.  I think he likes you."  I said, 'Emma, I can't let myself even think that. I mean it's so hard to focus when he is around me, and he stares at me nonstop, and waking up in his arms is just incredible, but it's driving my body crazy."  She said, "So it happened again?"  I said, "yeah. and I thought it was because he was missing holding Tara, but he told me he never did hold her or that he has not cuddled girls" She said, "Really but he does you, and yet you don't think he likes you. So just how does he cuddle with you, how are you waking up" I flashed back to this morning but left out some of it.  I said, 'Like today his arms were around my waist, and his head on my neck."  She said," Madison I think he likes you, but when we all go out, I have an idea, and I will watch him and see if I think he does."  I said, "ok, but I'm sure he doesn't.  He probably feels sorry for me. I don't want his pity.  Part of me thinks I should just end this."  She said, 'Don't you dare Madison"  

I said, 'Don't worry I wouldn't do that to you, I mean until after we have our double dates."  She said, 'I don't care about that, I mean I don't want you to do this just so I can get a date. I want you to do this for you.  I think he likes you. I think that he may end up wanting to be more than friends. Madison, I know you don't think that is possible, but all I know is he sounded worried and panicked when I called him, and he went to find you. That didn't sound like someone who didn't care. If he cares that much already, and he finds himself cuddling with you, when he's never done that before."  I said, 'I feel like he's hurt, and not thinking clearly, he could have any girl do this" She said, "not necessarily, he wants one he can trust, to not ever tell you know how all the girls are at our school."  I said, 'ok yeah maybe."  She said, "What do you have to lose" I said, "Besides my heart" She said, 'ok well this is your chance to have a boyfriend, even if it's fake, you will be spending time with him, and what it's just what going to be a few weeks."  I said, " I'm sure. A few weeks. But I don't want him to be made fun of or lose friends over me" She said, "Madison if he's not worried about it, then"

She said, "ok say you tell him you don't want to do this, won't you be regretting it the time that you could be spending with him, if he found someone else to do it, wouldn't you be hurt, watching it."  I said, 'yes" She said, "Then it's too late you are going to be hurt anyway, so you might as well do it and enjoy your time with him" I said, "yeah I guess well I got to go, I'll call you tonight, after he tells me what the rules to our dating will be." She said, "Don't worry and enjoy this."