CHAPTER 63: FAMILY DINNER

Tom is driving home. He looked over at me.  I was looking out the window, so not sure how long he was glancing at me. He reached over with one hand and put it on my hand, I looked at him and smiled.

Tom pulled in his drive. He said, "Madison, before we go in, are you sure we are ok."  I said, "yes Tommy."  He said, "I would never set you up like that."  I said, "I know, I'm sorry, it just I was embarrassed, and it looked like" He said, "I know if I were you, I wouldn't believe me."

I said, 'I still can't believe they were nice to me Tommy. I mean they are volleyball, basketball, track stars and they were nice."  Tom said, "yes they aren't snobs or Tara types either like glamour girls. They all work really hard on being the best athlete they can be. It takes a lot of work, determination, will power."  I said, "I know." 

I said, "let's go in."  He got out opened my door and took my hand.  I said, 'Wait, Tommy, can I say one thing."  Tom said, "Sure."  I said, 'I don't want to talk any more about the other girls. It's really none of my business. And besides it's in your past. Not sure with my mom's history, that I could stay here and be around you all the time, if you were still" He said, "Madison, I'm not I don't want it, nor do I miss it. That's the truth."  I said, "ok I was just going to say, Audra is wrong, and so are all the other girls, about you I mean ok she has a right to think you are a jerk, especially with the friend thing, but she and these other girls are being unfair to you."  Tom said, "why would you say that" I said, "Because Tommy, they made the choice to sleep with you, they wanted you, so they could have said no, and then either you would have still stayed with them, if you wanted to really be a boyfriend, or you would have dumped them and moved on.  I mean Audra had to know about the other girls, see you with them right, but she said that she thought that what you had was different, that you told her that she wasn't like the others."  

Tom thought shit she is never going to believe I want to be with her, if I ever did tell her, she'd think I was lying.  I've got to find a way to show her.

I said, "Tommy" He said," yeah sorry. I was just thinking about what you said. I mean I didn't force them, I didn't pressure them, I mean I did bring it up a lot, that is what I wanted, and so they knew it. But if they said no, you're right I would have moved on. Because I didn't want to be in a long-term relationship until" I said, "Right, so really you're not to blame ok. And Emma told her as much."  Tom said, "What Emma told Audra that."  I said, "yes she told her she understood why she hated you, but that she didn't know the way you were with me, and she is partly to blame, because she chose to sleep with you, or did he force you or not take no. and she told us that no you were respectful never forced or pressured she chose"

We went in. Tom's mom said, "hi guys" We said "hi" She said, "Thomas what beautiful flowers you picked out for Madison" I said,' "aren't they. I love them. I don't deserve them" Tom said, "yes you do."  His mom said, 'you must have researched flowers huh to get their meaning."  Tom smiled. He said, "so both Maddie and you knew that flowers had meanings. I had no idea."  We both laugh.  Tom said, "Actually no, I went into this flower shop by the police station, and the lady helped me. She asked me what I was buying flowers for, and I told her that I messed up and I wanted to let Maddie know I was sorry, so she recommended these."  I said, 'I love them. Thank you again."  I kissed his cheek.  He said, 'you're welcome. I am sorry."  I said, 'you didn't do anything. I'm the one who is sorry. I should have bought you something. I just don't know what to get."  Tom said, "no don't please. You will make me feel worse."

Tom's dad said, "Hi kids."  We said, "hi" Tom's dad said, "Madison you ready for your first Hanson family vacation," I said, "yes sir, I can't wait. I'm so excited" He said, "well this is your first of many."  Tom said, 'I agree. Now that you said you would come on this one, just have to tell you that you just committed yourself to every Hanson family vacation for the rest of your life."  He smiled.  I laughed.