CHAPTER 41: DRIVING LESSON

It was Wednesday. I took the day off.   Emma was going to pick me up and we were going to the mall to buy a new outfit for the date.  Molly and Mia wanted to go.  Tom had football practice,

 He told us to have fun., and remember it doesn't matter what you wear, you will look great, just so that you are happy.

At football practice, the track coach was there.  He watched practice, then when the guys were walking off the field, to go shower, he asked Tom if he could talk to him.

  Tom said, 'Sure" 

He said, 'So senior year, hoping that you guys have a great year, and win the State championship."  

Tom said, 'That's the plan, thanks Coach."  

He said, "I know you're focused on football, but have you thought about whether you are running track this year."  

He said, 'I'm thinking about it."  The coach said, "Just what I want to hear." 

 He said, 'So the other day at that picnic."  

Tom said, "yes I caused a scene. I'm sorry about that coach, but Brad deserved it."  

 He said, "I'm sure," They were walking.  

He said, "Word is that was your girlfriend who ran off."  

Tom said, "yes Madison. She misunderstood what the fight was about, and then Tara misunderstood, and it upset Madison. But I made sure Madison knew what really happened."

 The coach said, "that's good.  Tom said, "yes sir."

He said, 'I haven't seen her around., does she go to another school?" 

 Tom said, 'no she's a senior. She just is really shy and tries to avoid people."  

 He said, 'I wanted to talk to you about her."  

Tom said, 'ok."  He said, 'She flew, ran right by me."  

Tom smiled.  He said, 'yes she is fast, first time we were running at the track, and she flew by me, left me in the dust."  

Tom laughed at the memory. Tom said, "I've been trying to get her to go out for track. Told her I would if she did." 

 He said, "I'm hoping she agreed to. That's what I was wanting to ask her." 

 Tom smiled.  He said, "you want her on the team" 

The coach said, "yes."  

Tom said, "I'll tell her, I'm still working on her, but as of now she says no, because she is so shy, she doesn't want people to see her.  I told her that they wouldn't be able to because she would fly by them"

 They laughed.  Tom said, 'I wanted to time her, so she let me 6 seconds Coach."  

The coach said, "Wow we need her on the team"

 Tom said, 'I'll talk to her, and introduce you, if she's willing to talk to you. But please don't push her or pressure her."  

Coach said, "I won't. Thank you I'll let you go."

I told Mia that I hadn't talked to Tom yet, but I will. She said, it's fine. Probably won't do any good any way, but thanks.

Tom called to check in and see how I was doing.  I told him hadn't found anything yet.  He said, "Madison you're stressing, and I don't want you to do that. Please don't worry."  

  I said, 'how was practice."  

He said, "pretty good. I'm going home to eat lunch and then I got to mow the yard."