CHAPTER 47: PROTECTIVE TOM

We eat breakfast.  Tom's dad kisses Tom's mom goodbye and the girls, and tells Tom he will see him at work, and tells me to have a good day.  

Tom said, "Madison I need talk to my dad, here's my keys, if you want to go ahead and get in my car.  I said, "ok" The girls hug me, and I leave."  Tom catches up to him.

Tom said, "hey Dad wait up" The girls go outside with me, as their mom is taking them both to their friends' houses, each has a big day planned.

Tom said, "Dad I just wanted to thank you for being the best dad and tell you I love you. I'm sorry I haven't told you that in a while."    Tom's dad looks at his wife.  Almost with tears in his eyes. Tom's dad said, "I love you too son" Tom said, "I'm sorry for letting you guys down, you know the parties, drinking, acting like you weren't still my hero, caving into peer pressure, I'm sorry."

Tom's dad said, "Son I know it's not easy being the son of a Police Captain, and how your friends have treated you, left you out, shunned you because of me, like worried you might narc or be a rat on them. I'm sorry for that extra pressure that you've had to endure. But I've always been proud of you."  Tom hugged him.

Tom said, "I don't want Maddie to be late, I got to go. I'll see you at the station" Bye Mom.  He kissed her cheek and left.

Tom's mom said, "What was that?"  Tom's dad, said, "I'd say Madison, I don't know what that girl has done to him, but I'm liking it."  

Tom came got in the car. Was quiet on the ride, nothing but the radio.  He pulled into the vet's. Shut off the car.

I said, "Tom I'm so stupid. I'm sorry" He said, "You're not stupid, and what are you sorry for?"  I said, "Having you read that book. I totally wasn't thinking about that Efe's mentor being shot and killed. How could I forget?"  Tom said, "it's ok. You know it did something to me reading it, but if I'm being honest, I've lived with that fear deep inside me. I try and push it far down and tell myself it could never happen. I try to pretend like I am not afraid."  I said, "Tom, I want you to know that I'm here for you always. I mean whether you need to talk or vent or just sit in silence. I don't mean just about that. Just in general."  Tom said, "Thanks that means a lot. I want you to know I'm here too. I get why this book is so special to you."  I said, "you do?"  He said, "yes how you relate to Leyla so deeply and personally. How Leyla said she has been alone all her life, and you feel alone, but I want you to know you're not alone anymore. I'm here for you. I mean that."  He kisses my forehead.  He said, "have a good day, I got to get to work" I said, "ok you have a good day." Tom said, "I'll call you later about lunch, ok" I nod.  

It's 8:45. I'm not supposed to be there until 9:00, but our clinic opens up at 8 30. My head was spinning. I mean from this weekend. Just blows my mind, the date, the kisses, Tom reading my book with me. I've never felt so happy, and full of joy, and also closer to another person in my life. I really need to get it together, and be able to function, instead of walking around in a daze. 

I go in, and don't even realize we have customers. I mean I see there is someone there, but I don't see who it is.  I'm too much walking on air.  Feeling like I could fly. Big mistake.

The girls all greet me. They said, "look at you."  I said, "What?"  They said, "Still flying high from that romantic date. We have been dying for you to get here to spill all the details" I smile.  They laugh. They went on.  They said, "Where did he take you? Those pictures you looked so beautiful, such a beautiful couple. And those words he said to you. No wonder you're still glowing."  I laugh. So do they.  Jan and Sara said, "start talking Maddie you don't realize when you get older how you miss being young and in love"

I said, "Tom took me to a private secluded beach, it was so romantic, he surprised me with my favorite Olive Garden meal, even my favorite dessert" They were saying how romantic. I said, "it was perfect the whole night. We danced, he had a table and chairs set out for us on the sand, and he brought music on his phone, and we danced, and ate."  I was gushing. Reliving the moment.