Chapter 114: Megaera, The Sister-In-Law

Annabeth Chase ~ Aileen's Room in the Underworld

"Aileen? Are you there?"

I waited for a moment as I stare at the ring. The dull silver ring has not been responding to me for hours. After Hades assured me that Aileen will come back safely, she offered me to stay in her palace. I was easily convinced as Aileen would most likely come back here. Hades would keep an eye on Camp Half-Blood which means I don't have to be present there.

As no response came, I nestled myself back into the comfortable bed. The bed somehow feels cold without her. It also does not help that we share a bed every night now. However cold or lonely the bed may feel, I wait, I wait for her to come through the door. Smiling at me to let my worries ebb away as she always manages to do.

"May I come in?" I hear Megaera ask through the door. What is she doing here?! I am not being punished for jealousy or grudges, am I?

"O-of course, come on in."

The door opened revealing a dark blue-robed Megaera. Around her shoulders and neck are golden and bronze metal that acts as a sort of jewelry. Only the usual spiked shoulder plates were removed to appear more 'approachable'. But the burning yellow eyes and pale gray skin do not make it very... effective. Still, it does work a bit. I can appreciate the effort at the very least.

"How are you doing, Annabeth? You've been in here for hours without stepping outside," she asks. "We've been worried about you. You should at least eat something... I think. I am not sure with mortals."

"I will eat later, thank you, Lady Megaera," I answer as I follow her walking. She eventually sat down on the bed next to me. A sigh leaves her as she turns to face me.

"I am not good at this. I never was good with feelings, but I know how you feel. That idiot Zagreus has been reckless for as long as I can remember. It worried me from time to time as well. Similar to what you now experience with my sister," Megaera explains. To my surprise in a gentle and calm manner. Her voice contains nothing of what I would expect from a fury sister.

"I'm fine, lady Megaera. It's just such a hard time and Aileen keeps appearing and disappearing. I made a promise. We both did. On the river Styx, we promised to stay together. Come what may. Look at us now."

Megaera rolls her eyes as she props up a leg and leans with an arm on the leg. A breath leaves her again before she settles her gaze on me once again.

"You think it will become easier in the future? Think again. Your life will only become more hectic and full of irritations. What do you know of Zagreus' life, Annabeth?" She asks me. I shrug softly.

"Barely anything. I know he is old."

Megaera laughs in response, nodding with great amusement. I think she didn't expect such an answer. Aside from his prowess in battle and security role, I only heard he was old from Aileen.

"He sure is and barely gained any wisdom. Let me fill in those years for you a bit. I can easily show you what I mean with his life, unsurprisingly if you ask me," she says with a smile, "His birth was not easy for Persephone. For some reason, Zagreus was a stillbirth. Such a thing is unheard of for a God or a child of a God. It caused great grief for Persophone as she retreated from all the realms.

Nyx, my mother, saved him. I don't know how or why she did it, but her intervention caused him to grow up as healthy and strong as expected from a God. Zagreus grew up with the idea that Nyx was his other mother. Hades never corrected it as she wanted Persephone to be left alone, to let the pain heal."

"Nyx saved him? And Persephone retreated from... Is this what caused the long winter in Ancient Greece?!" I ask her with raised eyebrows. She nods as her gaze is distant while thinking of the past.

"Yes. Demeter was searching for her daughter, neglecting her duties which caused the seasons to be disrupted. Well, Zagreus, with his immense stupid luck, found out about his true mother. He demanded to meet with her, but Hades forbid it as to let Persephone be at peace."

"I guess Zagreus went to search for her anyway? He seems like someone that does not often listen to people," I say with a chuckle.

"He never listens or only sometimes after I yell at him for days on end. Anyway, Zagreus left the Underworld with great effort by fighting several guardians and monsters that were put in place to keep him in the Underworld. Even me and my sisters. He found Persephone and made her come back. In the end, all was well, but do you see? He left me, his betrothed, to search for his mother for years. Life is never easy, Annabeth. Not for you. Not my sister. For no one. Mortals don't have a monopoly."

"Thanks, lady Megaera... I think Aileen would also be very happy to know you already think of her as your sister. It certainly makes me happy," I say while sitting upright. Megaera takes a deep breath as she glances at me.

"No, she is my sister. Nyx called all her children to her. Only she is able to bring all my siblings together without them fighting with each other. Nyx called us together to inform us that we had a new sister; Aileen. And she expects us to make her feel welcome. I never want to disappoint Nyx, Annabeth. If she says we should welcome her, we as her children will make her feel welcome. Well, Hemera may not always agree to what Nyx says, but this time even she complied."

"I see, so her mortal part was replaced by Nyx'... Still, I know Aileen. She would be very grateful and happy. If she was here, she would engulf you in a warm hug. And the others while she was at it."

"I suppose I have to get used to a touchy sister. Wonderful," she mutters with a bit of irritation, "Anyway, I have said what I wanted to say." Megaera stands up and without any other word or glance walks to the door to leave.

"Lady Megaera, before you leave." Megaera stops, sighs, and turns to me. "Why did you come?"

"I am your sister too. Get used to it. See you at dinner," she answers matter-of-factly, turns on her heels, and leaves.