Chapter 33: On The Road Again

The window is open, in the blue sky the sun is shining brightly, and my arm is slightly hanging out of the window to catch the wind. The road is mostly straight as I drive towards an out-of-the-way spot to release the animals. It was harder to make sure that we release the animals in a favorable spot than taking the truck. I have to admit, even if the truck is used for unsavory business but God's driving it is a pleasure.

"How far is it till we reach it?" I ask Annabeth, who sits next to me. She leans towards the glove compartment and takes out a map.

"Uhm, around five minutes? The road is pretty empty, so shouldn't take long. We will see an open space to our right where we can stop," she says as she puts the map away again.

"Thank you for helping them, guys. I appreciate it very much. They belong free and in the wild. Not in a zoo, or in a small and confined space," Grover says from the backseat.

"I only wish we could have made the people pay for this... but I am glad they will run free soon enough," I answer, sending him a smile through the rearview mirror. Grover smiles with appreciation. "Thanks, Aileen."

Grover releases the lock of the cargo door and stands to the side, joining us to watch the animals carefully walking out of the truck. He also gives the animals a satyrs' sanctuary. To make sure they get back to the wild. The antelope quickly runs towards the tree line, disappearing from sight. A few sounds that can only be described as relief and from tasting freedom once again are made by the animal. The same goes for the zebra. He looks around the area first as he steps out. It is a gravel parking space that is surrounded by a thick forest.

We made sure to travel far away from the diner before we released the animals. It was to unsure that they wouldn't be captured soon after tasting their freedom again. It would be a shame if they did. The zebra soon runs happily into the forest. Almost with a bounce in his step made out of happiness.

Lastly, the albino lion came out of the truck. It looked around and then stares towards the bright blue sky. His face then turns to us. The eyes sparkle a little as if tears are forming in the eyes. He lets out a mighty roar towards us and the sky before going into the forest. His new home.

"May they find peace in the forest and die with fulfillment," I say as I watch the lion disappearing in the forest. "Yeah, they deserve it. We better get going too. A war needs to be stopped," Percy says. Indeed. A war among the Gods needs to be prevented.

Again, we are back on the road towards Los Angeles. This will be a long trip. It will at least take a day before we get there. But we need to stop somewhere to rest. I cannot drive for sixteen hours straight, and it will also cause problems with the law. I think we should be able to make it to Beaver and from there the last leg to Los Angeles.

The truck has plenty of space to sit in. In the front was enough seats for three persons and in the back seating is enough space for five persons. Percy sits in the back seat and starts to lean in between me and Annabeth.

"So, I was hoping to ask you two something. Can you tell me about how you two met? Was it love at first sight?" He asks with a smile. Annabeth narrows her eyes with slight annoyance and irritation. Percy sure is curious about our relationship.

"Are you asking for dating advice, Percy? Why the interest?" I ask him with a soft laugh. From behind me, I hear Grover snickering as he tries not to laugh.

"N-no! I am more than c-capable of getting a girlfriend!" He says, tripping over his words. It does not sound convincing to me. Annabeth smirked a bit as he hears Percy stumbling over his words, pleased at the role reversal.

"If you say so... It was not love at first sight, though. But definitely one of a kind meeting. Annabeth was eight and I was eleven. She found me in Richmond when I came out of a deep sleep," I start to explain.