Chapter 39: The Beginning Of A Special Day

The return to Camp Half-Blood of our group was huge. All the campers were hailing us as great heroes as we were paraded through the camp with laurels on our heads. As I walked through the camp with Annabeth, Percy, and Grover, I felt content knowing I spared them from fighting each other. Each camper would have sided with their God or Goddess. Meaning bloodshed between the Demigods. Between friends.

Eventually, the parade ended in the arena, where a fire was roaring. Next to the fire were two members of the Athena cabin, and a member of the Ares cabin. In their hands, they held a burial shroud for each of the campers that went on the quest. Grover did not have one as he is not a demigod, but I believe there are other traditions for satyrs.

I approached one of the Athena campers that held the burial shroud that was made for me. It was black with green lines on the outside. In the middle was a golden bident, the symbol of Hades. A shroud made with great skill and technique, it is beautiful. The same can be said for the one of Annabeth. A gray-colored shroud with black and gray owls on it.

Percy's shroud... was the complete opposite. A decrepit bedsheet with degrading symbols on it. Especially the large white letters that said "Loser". By the looks of it, the Ares kids were still bitter about the stunt that Percy did against their counselor Clarisse. Percy will enjoy watching it burn. No doubt about it as I would enjoy it too if it was mine. If I had to be honest, I found it quite funny.

The festivities soon moved to dinner. Rules still applied, so I was alone at the table while every other cabin say at their own respective tables. Percy also sat alone, but Grover joined him for a time while also joining me. Somewhat alternating between the two of us. It was during dinner that I was alone to think about what will happen.

War.

I have seen the lead-up to war. The gentle nudges of the enemy. This enemy is testing the waters, so to speak, but it won't be long before skirmishes will follow. After that... full-out war. We must prepare for it.

After dinner, I walked with my Annabeth, Percy, and Grover towards the cabin as night is settling in the camp. We spoke and laughed about certain parts of our journey and adventure. We all knew danger was coming, but we deserved some rest before we will tackle the next obstacle.

December 24th soon came. I was awake early to start the day. Today was a Saturday, so we could do as we wish. For me, it was preparing for my day with Annabeth. I did not lie to her, but I also paid for something other than my dress. Furthermore, I made it bigger than I first planned it to be. In any case, I definitely feel lucky about the fact that Hades is rich. I have plenty of money to spend when I have it on me. The money I receive is unfortunately all in cash.

The event I will be attending with Annabeth was a mix of two things. One aspect was a short but very interesting workshop for those interested in architecture and a ball for fundraising. The workshop is not extensive or very labor-intensive. It would be weird if it was, considering the apparel of most people there. Also, this event will have many people that have considerable wealth and fame. I think they wouldn't be able to solve complex issues, at least some of them.

The other main aspect, the fundraising ball, is organized by charities in order to gather funds for several projects in the developing world. Afterward, the invited people will be staying at the expensive hotel where it is organized. The hotel is a sponsor of the event, so the stay will be free to those that participated in the event.

The ball itself will be very classy, and I hope it will set a pleasant mood for the evening. I hope we can make it the day we connect not only through our words and affectionate touches but also on an intimate level. For me, it will be more than a pleasure, I want to let her know she means the world to me. As cliché as it is, it is the truth. If all does go well today, it will really mean large changes for us.