Chapter 53: The Aftermath

All gather around the funeral pyre as it stands ready to be lit. Alissa is wrapped in her shroud of black color with two crossed torches imprinted on it. I pass a burning torch to Vincent as he looks at his deceased girlfriend. His eyes are red from crying as he takes a shaky breath.

He takes the torch and lights the wood till it burns brightly. The red flames engulf the body as it spreads across the entire pyre. Red flames change to green as the seconds go by. Vincent soon stands next to me again.

"She was the only ray of sunshine in my life, Aileen. The only light in my dark existence. The one thing that kept me going. I don't get it anymore. All I experienced in my life is shit, shit, and more shit. I don't even know why I bother anymore," he says as he stares at the green flames.

"Vincent..."

He raises a hand to keep me from speaking. I held my tongue as I look at him. His face has a rather blank expression. One that looks defeated, but with growing anger. An expression that only those that have lost everything could muster.

"I don't want to hear those flimsy excuses, Aileen. The Gods like to punish those with a wicked past. Well, look closely, Aileen. Here is your example. This will await you if you follow in my footsteps," he continues as his gaze turns to me. Anger swims in his eyes as he looks at me. "My heart is burning in that pyre. I will not rest till I get my revenge. My misery is caused by Kronos, and he will pay! He will not escape my wrath!"

"You need to grief, Vincent. Don't get reckless and throw your life away. There are still people that care deeply for you," I say.

"You don't understand, Aileen. You don't understand..." he says as he crouched down to sit and stare at the fire.

"I want some time alone with my siblings to say goodbye. Don't worry, I will go to Camp Half-Blood with you. I'll ask the others what they want. Please, leave us for now," he says, his voice soft and distant. His siblings join him as they sit with him in silence, arms around each other. I turn around and walk away.

He is right. I will never understand. Only if Annabeth comes to die will I understand. I think I never want to understand the pain that would fester in me. It would break me. I know that much. As I leave the siblings, Selina and Xandra soon join me.

"How's... how is Vincent?" Selina asks carefully. "In pain. I only hope he will not throw his life away. He does not see much joy in life anymore. Vincent has only known pain, and his only piece of happiness is gone. He is angry and wants revenge."

"I... Gods, I don't know what to say..." she whispers softly. I take a deep breath as I glance at the pyre. "Come, we should give them time. I think we should prepare some food for them and offers for the Gods. We need to ask them to take Alissa into Elysium. The Gods know she deserves it."

The camp fire crackles as we sit around it in silence. Selina, Xandra and I were unsure about what to say. It is still fresh in their memory. The anger and grief is plain as day. I can see it in them. The loss of a sibling is not an easy pill to swallow. They will follow Vincent in his quest of vengeance. I do not blame them. It is understandable, and I will not convince them otherwise. That right does not belong to me.

I stand up from my seat, and walk to a table with food. I pick up one bowl in particular. It contains the best quality food I could find. This should suffice as an offering. I turn around and offer the bowl to Vincent. He takes it from me as he looks confused.

"Pray, Vincent," I say, squeezing his shoulder in support.

"To whom? The only one that shouldn't hate me is Hecate," he says, thinking about his situation. "Hades. Pray and ask for Elysium. Ask for the afterlife Alissa deserves. Be sincere, and Hades could be inclined to grant your request."

Vincent sighs deeply as he stands up and throws the offer in the fire. His hands clasp together as he prays. Seconds go bye as we look at him and the fire. I hope Hades will grant the request. Alissa laid down her life for a worthy cause. It is reason enough to earn her place in Elysium. The fire turned to an intense dark green.

"Alissa has entered Elysium. Her rest has begun and ended. She chose reincarnation to earn her way to the Isles of the Blest. Be at peace, Vincent Corvius," Hades' voice echoes from the fire. The green fire slowly ebbs away again as the orange flames return. Vincent smiles gratefully as he stares at the sky.

"Alissa... I will find you again. Wait for me."

Two days later

Our group have been walking back to Camp Half-Blood the last few days. The battle took place in a deserted part of the State of New York. We couldn't find a place to board a bus, so we walked. Only, when we approached New York City, did we take a bus. And now we are about to approach Camp Half-Blood. Hecate's children are anxious as we approach.

They have never seen the camp before, which makes them nervous. Some resentment is present as they know of the lack of a cabin for Hecate Demigod children. They will probably have to sleep in the crowded Cabin of Hermes.

Vincent jogs a bit, so he walks next to me. He has been much better when he heard about Alissa. A bit more cheery and positive. However, life made him cynical and bitter. It takes time to cleanse those feelings. He swore on the River Styx to find Alissa after Kronos was defeated, it has given him a purpose again.

"Aileen, some of us are wondering about the camp. Where will we sleep? Will they... accept us?" He asks. I sent him a smile to show he has nothing to worry about.

"Of course they will, Vincent. This is your home. All Half-Bloods are welcome here. As for your sleeping arrangements... I hope you can tolerate noise. As Hecate has no cabin, you'll be sleeping in the Hermes cabin," I explained to him.

"Is it that bad?" He asks. It makes me chuckle a bit, a few memories of my early days resurfacing. "Yeah, all demigods without a cabin are sleeping there. Plus the Hermes kids, which are one of the more numerous Demigod children in camp. So, it will be very busy." Vincent groans a bit in irritation. "Is there no other place or option?"

"Well, one of the gods could become your patron. They'll sponsor and look after you. You'll be allowed to use and sleep in their cabin. It almost never happens, though," I explained. A deep sigh leaves him. "Say what you will about Luke, but at least we had decent accommodations on his ship..."

"Ship? He operates from a ship?" I ask him curiously. "Yeah, the name was Princess Andromeda, if I remember correctly. It was a large luxury cruise and definitely comfortable," Vincent answers.

"Well, lucky them, I suppose. But my cabin is already pretty comfy. I have nothing to complain about," I say with a soft smile. "Hades has one? We thought she did not have one. Do the Gods not shun her?"

"They do, but she forced them to allow it. Being part of the Big Three gives her a bit more pull among the Gods. I am not sure what lord Zeus thought about it. He was basically sidelined by Hades. They do not like each other," I say while putting an arm around him. My arm gives a warm squeeze as I pull him in a side hug. "But my nephew is always welcome in my Cabin! You've my permission to sleep there too!"

Vincent softly chuckles as he glances at his siblings that walk a bit in the back. "I appreciate it, but I am responsible for my siblings. It's my duty to stay with them," he says.

We stop on top of a hill that gave an excellent view of the camp. The Greek buildings made out of marble glimmer in the summer sun. A fire is roaring in the square surrounded by the cabins. The climbing mountain with lava visible in the distance. A few Pegasus horses flying in the air. We are home.

"I any case, welcome to Camp Half-Blood!"