Chapter 18: The Wait Is Over

Alexandra looks at me with a bright smile, some ghostly tears leaving her eyes. She looks just like when she left for Europe. It is hard to describe how happy she is.

"My dear Aileen, oh my, what have you become beautiful!" she says as she practically runs to me. Her arms securely going around me. Her shoulders going up and down as she cries in joy. I hardly have to be motivated as I wrap her in my arm as well. We stood there for minutes, crying on each other's shoulder. Although, her tears go through me and disappear while mine hit the stone obsidian floor.

"How are you doing, Aileen? Got a girlfriend? Boyfriend? How is Marie? Oh, please tell me everything!" she says when she looks me over. Eyes shining like they are burning with life, as if she wasn't a ghost. It makes me smile so brightly, it made my face hurt.

"I missed you, mother, I missed you so much..." I sniffle out as I try to stem the tears. "I know, Aileen. I am so sorry for leaving. It was hard coming home with Marie alone, but I was devastated when I couldn't find you, my little girl," she starts to say as she guides me to one of the beds to sit on.

"I practically searched the whole East Coast for you! Believe me, Marie even went with me," she chuckles, "But it seems you were put away for your own safety. I hope Hades gave you some answers." I nod softly. "She explained enough."

"That's good. Please tell me how you are doing! We have to make the most of this brief moment. I can't stay here. You know, me being dead and all," she says with a soft smile. "Where to start...?" I pondered.

"Well... did you snatch a good lady already?" she asks with her eyebrows going up and down. I blushed a bit. "Not yet, but I will soon have a beautiful lady. You'll like her! Her name is Annabeth. She is super smart and very beautiful in my eyes. I feel very lucky," I answer with a wishful smile. It makes Alexandra chuckle.

"I'm happy for you, sweetheart. I am glad you have found the one. Is Marie doing alright?" Mother asks. I smile as I nod. "More than fine, she still lives in Richmond. I have not met them, but it seems she has four children. I am not sure what happened to her husband, but she doesn't talk about it. But is very happy with her life! We send each other letters as much as we can," I explained.

"It warms my heart! Or ghost heart in this case!" she chuckles, "Oh, Aileen... my wait to finally see you has finally ended. I am not sure if we will ever see each other again, but I am very proud of you, my little girl! Look at you, such a beauty and a heart made of gold. I did pretty well!" she says with a smile and laugh. "Hades was there too, was she not?"

"Of course, but I still carried you for nine months and raised you, love! I can take some credit about how you turned out," she says. "She has my patience," Hades' voice echoes through the room. "Hush you! This is my private time!" Mother scolds Hades. A chuckle comes from Hades.

"I know, but I came to bring you back to Elysium. Your time is up, Alexandra. I can't let you stay any longer," Hades says as she emerges from the shadows. Alexandra sighs deeply. "I see."

Mother turns to looks at me with a loving smile and gaze. "Stay safe, my little girl. Be happy and tell this Annabeth of yours that she has my blessing!"

"I am not getting married, mother! B-but thanks?"

Alexandra chuckles as she stands back up, looking at Hades. In turn, Hades holds out a hand for her to take. "Goodbye, my little girl. Remember, I will always love you." It is the last thing she said as she disappears with Hades. I plop on my back, letting myself sink into the large, soft bed. What a wonderful day...

I spend the entire afternoon with my two mothers. Dinner soon followed where each of the cabin sits at their respective tables. I scratched my head a little as I looked around. There wasn't a table for my cabin yet. I looked at Chiron and Dionysus for an answer. "Just sit where you want tonight. Your table will arrive tomorrow. I am sure they'll welcome you with open arms," Dionysus says, waving around with a hand towards all the tables.

I looked around to see whether that was true or not. Big surprise, most were not looking forward to having dinner with me at their table. By the looks of it, only the Ares cabin were okay with it. And Annabeth, but she was pretty much the only one from her cabin. It made Annabeth glare at her siblings in annoyance. I smiled at the scene, but to prevent any friction, I sat with the Ares kids.

One for one the tables make their offering to the Gods and a specific offering to a God of their choice. The fire burns differently each time, when it was time for the Ares table, I walked towards it. Of course, I will make an offer to Hades, but I will split it in three. One portion for Hades, one for Persephone, and one for Zagreus. My current divine family. The fire burns with three colors mixed together. One dark green, Hades, one light green with browns, Persephone, and a crimson red, Zagreus. Maybe it is a bit strange, but at least I won't play favorites in the family. Perhaps I could rotate between them? Something to think about.

I woke up as I hear some knocking on the door. It makes me groan in annoyance, what could possibly be so important. Breakfast is not even close to starting yet. In a sluggish manner, I walk to the door after putting some clothes on.

"What is it?" I ask as I open the door. At the door, I see two people. One is Justin and the other is Victor. Counselors of the Hermes and Athena cabins. "Cabin Inspection, Aileen. They still happen in the weekend," Justin says, a tinge of worry in his voice.

"Ah... please feel welcome," I say and open the door invitingly. They step inside and as they walk towards the plaza, their eyes are wide from awe. "Ehm, I have four rooms. Library, saloon, bedchamber, and a gallery. Would you like something to drink?" I ask them as we stand in the garden. They hardly seem able to focus as they look around.

"Sure," Justin says absentmindedly. "You have a library?!" Victor asks surprised. "Mhm, pretty big too. Feel free to browse around, but don't take anything with you. Tea?" I ask. They both nod. "It will be ready in the saloon!" I say happily and walk towards the room to prepare it.

They seem utterly stunned by the cabin. In ten minutes I have a table set for three, they haven't yet come into the saloon. Either they were too distracted by everything or this cabin is bigger than the others. Eventually, they came into the saloon. Justin looks red from laughing, while Victor is red from something falling on his forehead.

"Did something happen?" I ask as I sit at the table. Justin almost bursts into laughter again. "I tried reaching for a book, but several books fell on me..." Victor explains softly as he sits in a chair.

"Books... who knew how dangerous they can be!" Justin says as he laughs. I smile as I pass cups of tea to them. "I will think of a borrowing system for you and your siblings. It's only fair."

"Fair?" Victor asks curiously as he sips from his cup. "Mhm, Annabeth will have full access to my cabin. She'll probably be in the library a lot, but I guess you Athena siblings have a weakness for knowledge."

"That's... very kind of you. There are books I haven't seen in our library. The library even rivals the one in the Athena cabin. I'd love to study some of these books at some point," he says as he ponders. "Feel free, so did I pass inspection?"

"With flying colors. Keep it up, Aileen," Justin says as he eventually walks out with Victor. I guess Clarisse was right. Just show them who I am. The morning flew by and as I was walking back to my cabin, I saw a smiling Annabeth walking towards me.

"Aileen, do you have time? I... uhm, prepared something for you... us."

I smiled very brightly as I follow her.