Chapter 35: Traversing the Underworld

Charon anchored at a wooden harbor. It is swarming with souls left and right. In front of us are multiple queues leading to different places. I think it would depend on whether the soul wants to face the judges or that they rather be going to Asphodel.

"Alright, off you go. Do not forget to mention my raise to Hades, Princess of the Underworld. My list of suits that I want does not get any shorter," Charon says as he goes back to the lobby. "Sure!" I call back.

"Alright, let's go! I can't wait to meet Hades again!" I say with clear excitement. Percy sighs, as does Grover. They do not share my enthusiasm by the looks of it.

We walked towards the large obsidian entrance and are met by a frightening sight. A large and very much muscled dog stands guard. The three-headed hound, Cerberus, watches everything carefully to ensure nothing disturbs the process of sorting the dead. Also, he ensures that nothing escapes the Underworld. Once you enter, you cannot leave without Hades' approval, or by the very few alternative ways. However, I do not know those alternatives, except for shadow travel.

"H-how will we get p-passed Cerberus?" Grover asks with a stutter bleat. "Just walk past him?" I suggest.

"Aileen, don't be stupid! Only the dead may pass, and we are very much alive!" Grover exclaims.

"Little sis! I thought I felt your presence. Man, look at you! You've become quite the attractive woman," I hear Zagreus say as he approaches us. He walked towards us as he comes from the direction where Cerberus stands guard. I guess he can move in and out as he wishes.

Percy and Grover share a confused and surprised glance with each other as they see the man approach. Zagreus can be quite the sight for those who do not know him. Especially his clothing style and eyes.

"Brother! I'm happy to see you. It has been too long," I say with a smile. Soon enough, I embrace him when I meet him half way. He does the same as he chuckles softly.

"Glad to see you doing well. I heard something from our mother, Aileen. About a certain Annabeth," he says in a cheeky voice while glancing at Annabeth. She looks away from him while blushing.

"Only good things, I hope?" I ask.

"For now, but you know her. Hades holds her feelings close to her chest. Only you, me, and Persephone will see her more freely expressing her emotions, love, and care. She is barely opening up to my wife," he says with a sigh.

"Your wife?! You are married?" I ask with surprise. But also very interested in knowing who it is.

It brings a smile to Zagreus as he thinks about his wife. The same goes for the other three. Who doesn't want to know more about an obscure God like Zagrues.

"Megeara, one of the Fury Sister," he says. Percy and Grover almost immediately drop their smiles. I almost want to laugh as I see them staring in disbelieve.

Zagreus noticed it as he looks towards the two boys. "Got problems with that?" he asks as he stares coldly at the two boys. They shake their heads with vigor.

"No, but she attacked us! Not the best, uhm, way to introduce yourself," Percy explains softly. Zagreus bursts out laughing.

"Ah, yes. She came home very irritated that day. It is quite the feat to hold off the Fury Sisters, Seaweed Boy. But if you ever kill her, I will hunt you down and kill you," he says, and his last sentence was dead serious. I truly believe Zagreus will do as he says. Percy will not escape his wrath. "Y-yes, sir!" Percy peeps out.

"Good. I assume you're here to meet with Hades? She is expecting you," Zagreus says, looking over our group. "We are, but we need to get passed Cerberus first. I don't think he will let us," Annabeth says.